• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ground locations

bunti

• 6 years later...
  • Staff

I only have experience with locating the second gen grounds. Some so important and yet hidden for some  reason. Also some very important sensor grounds discovered fused together in the wire harness with some sort of  hardened plastic not a drop of solder in them :nono:. I wonder therefore if a 3rd gen harness is similar in some ways..... I can tell you where to look and what to look for if interested.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:45 AM, JAG1 said:

I only have experience with locating the second gen grounds. Some so important and yet hidden for some  reason. Also some very important sensor grounds discovered fused together in the wire harness with some sort of  hardened plastic not a drop of solder in them :nono:. I wonder therefore if a 3rd gen harness is similar in some ways..... I can tell you where to look and what to look for if interested.

Well do tell

• Staff

Okay I hope your still around after me leaving this by the wayside. I'm sorry for that as I finally got things done around here..... Now if you go into the second gen articles section that is fine too, but on our first gens there are 4 grounds fused together with some sort of plastic, as I said, but they are located in the wire harness in front of the injection pump. Dodge had no business fusing those without a drop of solder, so most all of us have taken those 4 sensor grounds and soldered them together and bonded them to the back of the gear case under or to the side of the injection pump.There is an already threaded hole in the gear case for a small size threaded bolt to go in there with a ring terminal on the bolt.

Now Dripley has found another location of inferior grounds fused together again with that same sort of hard plastic. He says it's inside the wire harness down near the ECM.

I finally found the all important ground for the power distribution center. Everyone talked about it being down low on top of the wheel well fender in front of the drivers battery except I could never see it there until one day I moved  a small portion of wiring out of the way and there it was. Kind of funny the way Dodge so neatly hid this all important location so perfectly under a small section of wire harness that the normal eye would think that there is nothing under there.

Anyhow I hope you respond after my absence. I will think of more as I get time.

• Like 1

• Staff

There is often a lot of resistance to ground that occurs thru the alternator bracket. The alternator does not have it's own ground wire from case housing to a negative post so this all important ground is often found to be compromised by it running thru the rusted or slightly corroded mounting bolts. Even the heavily painted black surface of the alternator bracket with paint under the bolt head can help to insure a bit more resistance to ground. A well grounded alternator helps create a better balanced electrical system and helps reduce the damaging  AC voltage ripple to the PCM and other components. AC ripple can not only cause damage, but can confuse the PCM into some troubling issues.