• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ScanGauge II problems

Has anyone else had trouble with their display showing black boxes where the letter or number should be:

Posted Image

Mine does this intermittently. If I unplug it and plug it back in, the display returns to normal. Also, some of the time it doesn't connect automatically with the truck. The gauges show no data. I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to connect. Sometimes I have to do this more than once. Most of the time it works perfectly but these two problems are annoying.

I emailed Linear Logic and they said to send it in for repair. I just want to make sure these aren't common glitches that aren't going to go away with repair.

Not bad average mileage. Must be the 2 stroke oil.

Hope you have better success than I did with them. When I first purchased mine, not all of my gauges worked. I tried to get tech help from them and it was over 2 weeks before they answered my email! Got a hold of another company that sells scan tools and they got me a new one and wanted to know all of my problems to see if it was some thing with just my truck or all 99's! Hope everything works out right for you!

Damn, I was going to mail it back tomorrow. Your experience scares me a bit. I like the thing but don't need headaches. If they don't satisfy me, their web site says they have a 90 (I think) day unconditional refund so I'll do that.

Edited by edcasey

Have you already called them and told them of your problem? You never know, maybe something was going on with the company internally. Who knows maybe the person that was suppose to be answering emails was screwing up and is no longer there! Since I received my replacement I have had no problems. Sorry if I scared you! Everyone deserves a 2nd chance! Good luck!

I sent them an email on Sunday and did get a response on Monday afternoon asking me what vehicle it was installed in. Tuesday they sent me another email with the address to mail it for repair. So far the communications have been good. I just hope they either fix it quick or send me a new one. If they do either, I'll be satisfied. I'll let you know how it turns out.Ed

Edited by edcasey

• 2 weeks later...

Have you received your ScanGauge back yet?

Wow...You must be psychic! I got home a little while ago and it was in the Mail box. I installed it and took it for a ride and it seemed to work. I did have to unplug the cable from the Scangauge once to get the water temperature to work. The display was an intermittent problem so I'll have to wait to see if that's okay. It looks like they repaired it and sent it back. I was hoping for a new one because that one never worked right and was only a few weeks old. I can't complain about the turn-around time. It was exactly two weeks and it had to make a 5,000 mile round trip. I'll keep you guys updated.

Well...the second time I took my truck out with my newly repaired ScanGaugeII and the display problem showed back up. It does seem to connect now but sometimes I get no data in certain gauge fields (mpg and FWT). If I unplug it and plug it back in it starts to work. The display problem is intermittent so I was afraid they would test it and the problem wouldn't show up so they would just ship it back to me. I don't know what they did because they sent me no paperwork. I honestly expected them to send me a new one seeing it was less than a month old. I should have read the warranty before I bought it. I know better than to assume. If you haven't read it:"Linear-Logic will repair this product with new or rebuilt parts, free of charge, for a period of 1 year from the date of original purchase in the event of a defect in materials or workmanship."So I buy a $169.00 gauge and it has problems out of the box and they are going to fix it with "new or REBUILT parts". Nice.I'll call them tomorrow. I just don't need the headache. Just be aware if your planning on buying one of these that they don't have a replacement warranty even if it's a day old.Again, I blame myself for not reading the warranty. If I had, I would have bought something else.

Edited by edcasey

Ed, just a thought and I suspect you have probably already looked into this possibility but just in case not; have you looked at the data plug? Could be the male of female side of the plug connection is intermittent or a pin/connector segment is damaged. I used to run into connectivity problems all the time when I was working the flight line troubleshooting aircraft with electrical problems. Many times it was a matter of cleaning and reseating cannon plugs. A quick spray with some electrical cleaner, then installing and removing the plug several times to ensure a good solid connection. Probably not the case here but figured it might be a long shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update on my Scangauge. A couple of weeks after they "repaired" it I started having problems with it not connecting. I have sent them two emails requesting a new gauge rather than them trying to repair it a second time. They have yet to respond to my emails. I will call them on Monday. If I can't get any satisfaction that way, I'll file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I checked and Linear Logic is an accredited company with the BBB with an A+ rating. They had two complaints in the last 36 months and both where resolved. Apparently they care about their rating, so this may be my best avenue.

Just another update. I sent Linear Logic 3 emails requesting a new Scangauge and that they pay to return my defective one. The last email was sent yesterday. I just received the following reply:

Edward,

We can send you a replacement unit to the address you included. Enclosed in the package will be a pre-paid return label to send back the defective unit. Please let me know how the replacement unit works.

Thank you,

Scott Ross

Linear Logic, LLC

As soon as I receive the new one and confirm it works correctly, I will be a happy customer. I've been in business long enough to have sold and / or installed defective products. It happens. I've also been a service manager long enough to realize some service problems do fall through the cracks despite my best efforts. Hopefully, I'll receive the new ScanGauge soon and I'll let you know.