• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Black Smoke/puff only when starting

Hi guys,I've just noticed this black puff when starting the truck. I have no idea how long its been doing this. I bought the truck in November 2012 with 306000 miles knowing it would have some problems. So it could have been doing this since I bought it :duh:. My question...Is this normal, or something that I should be getting concerned about? This is the only time is blows the black smoke. Never going down the road, even when I get on it really good. I'm trying to embed a video of what the truck is doing. The smoke looks white because its coming right at the camera, but it is black.

You and the rest of the world have the same problem. But it isn't a problem. When it is starting it is injecting fuel but it isn't burning it until it actually "starts" which only takes a second so you only get that second worth of black smoke. Completely normal :thumbup2:In the winter the smoke may haze as a slight whiteish smoke as the cylinder temps warm up, this is normal as long as it doesnt get to the point of being excessive. Meaning it shouldn't do it for any longer than a few minutes.

The old frac pumps I used to use would smoke white for about 5 -10 minutes on a cold winter morning. 20,000 hp of CAT 3412s chugging would make the location look like it was obscured by fog. I loved it.

The old frac pumps I used to use would smoke white for about 5 -10 minutes on a cold winter morning. 20,000 hp of CAT 3412s chugging would make the location look like it was obscured by fog. I loved it.

I used to run the pumps too!!! :thumb1: And I'll have to admit, I miss it more often than I ever thought I would... My primary truck was an N2 pumper though. Who did you work for??? Sorry to Hi-jack the thread!!!!:shrug:

I used to run the pumps too!!! :thumb1: And I'll have to admit, I miss it more often than I ever thought I would... My primary truck was an N2 pumper though. Who did you work for??? Sorry to Hi-jack the thread!!!!:shrug:

I've pumped a lot of nitrogen and CO2. I don't work in frac anymore either, but I did work for Big Red.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

normal, i get the same thing. fuel that is injected during startup builds up until piston speed reached optimum when the air is compressed fast enough to combust the fuel, until that happens unburnt fuel builds up and gets spit out. mind u this is only a extremely short period of time from turn over to running.

Hi guys, I've just noticed this black puff when starting the truck. I have no idea how long its been doing this. I bought the truck in November 2012 with 306000 miles knowing it would have some problems. So it could have been doing this since I bought it :duh:. My question...Is this normal, or something that I should be getting concerned about? This is the only time is blows the black smoke. Never going down the road, even when I get on it really good. I'm trying to embed a video of what the truck is doing. The smoke looks white because its coming right at the camera, but it is black.

http-~~-//youtu.be/LT7fPiqh9tI

My sons 99 does this as well. its got around 200K on the dial. I`m a little curious you say it does`nt smoke when you get on it:think:? My CR does`nt make anything really noticable at startup, but when you kick it down to pass someone it usually leaves them in a pretty decent fog LOL! I was following a kid in a second gen through town the other day with stacks on his truck, and he obviously had a tuner cranked up. He was genuinely entertaining himself blacking out each intersection he stopped at :lmao2:..

My sons 99 does this as well. its got around 200K on the dial. I`m a little curious you say it does`nt smoke when you get on it:think:? My CR does`nt make anything really noticable at startup, but when you kick it down to pass someone it usually leaves them in a pretty decent fog LOL! I was following a kid in a second gen through town the other day with stacks on his truck, and he obviously had a tuner cranked up. He was genuinely entertaining himself blacking out each intersection he stopped at :lmao2:..

Correct, I can't get any black smoke, even when passing someone. I have the raptor frrp, and a big line relocation kit. Other than those mods my truck is completely stock. Maybe why I can't get smoke:think:

I'm with Texas on this one. My truck hazes now and I don't have a plate. The only CR I know of that's stock and smoking is a truck that smokes the entire time he's on the pedal. My truck wouldn't even smoke stock.

I'm with Texas on this one. My truck hazes now and I don't have a plate. The only CR I know of that's stock and smoking is a truck that smokes the entire time he's on the pedal. My truck wouldn't even smoke stock.

Maybe I should rephrase my earlier comment.. Mine is more of a blackish grey "haze" rather than fog LOL! but it does smoke when you stand on it.

- - - Updated - - -

On second thought, maybe I`m just blowing the soot buildup out of the exhaust cause I normally drive like a 70 year old man, but I have experienced a touch of road rage before:lol:

Speakin' of stock 12 valve smoke. . . My friend has a bone stock '96 auto, and he could lay into it, and blow solid smoke for about 2 seconds, then it would clean up. A few months later, he had his valves adjusted, not near as much smoke - just a haze. :shrug:

Speakin' of stock 12 valve smoke. . . My friend has a bone stock '96 auto, and he could lay into it, and blow solid smoke for about 2 seconds, then it would clean up. A few months later, he had his valves adjusted, not near as much smoke - just a haze. :shrug:

The starwheel usually barely lets have any fuel at all until you have 5psi. I can see under the right circumstances you could get it to smoke for a sec. Not sure how valves could do it unless they were way off.

The starwheel usually barely lets have any fuel at all until you have 5psi. I can see under the right circumstances you could get it to smoke for a sec. Not sure how valves could do it unless they were way off.

I'm thinking the valves were way off - the pump hasn't been messed with. 200K miles, 2nd owner, and to his knowledge, they hadn't been adjusted.