• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Think I've got an easy Fix for a Tank Top Access........

• Staff

I just did mine and realized what to do but, need some input on this idea.First of all I want to point out that the bed rib frame right in the way over the tank lid is very thin gauge steel. So my thought on this is to go ahead and cut it out of the way and place new steel reinforcement that makes it removable and stronger than original.My idea is simply to add steel reinforcement that sleeves/ slides inside both ends of the cut away bed rail and bolt them together with a few bolts. It would need to be rectangular tubing that fits inside the other just like a reciever hitch does with square tubing. When you want tank top access you simply remove the two or three bolts and slide the reinforcement steel out of the way further inside the bed rail or pull them out.I did not realize this easier fix till I completely reframed the cut away access area. It was a pain and needed lots of planning to stay with using all existing factory frame holes for bolting. I did not want to drill the frame at all and didn't.Pics to come later after it quits raining.... I'm such a wus.:rolleyes:

• Staff

CAJ, because now all I have to do is lift my access plate cover and there everything is. Unbolting two bolts is no problem it's everything else that goes along with the complete drop and reinstall. That's why:tease:

• Staff

I knew you weren't judging Caj, I was just being funny's all. I'm getting older and plan on keeping the truck. My problem has been contorting my body and reaching above the tank at the same time. It's getting harder for me to hook everything back up too. Now everything is all right there, an easy reach. I notice my fuel lines are already cracking and have another possible problem with the draw straw. I don't know.... I just wanted another challenge to modify the truck, the way it should be built, INMHO. I still have the original fuel gauge register in there too.

I been thinking of an access plate as well. Dont have a way to lift the bed. I have a topper on it and no garage. Also pulling my tank is a pain. I think I am the only one that has trouble pulling the tank. I have the modded module and its sucking air. Didnt pull the tank to fix it as I just rehooked my old draw straw and have to deal again with the 1/4 tank issues. :banghead:For whatever reason, I have to pull the rear tire and drop a crossmember to get the tank out. :mad: Maybe cause I am a QCSB 2WD?I did make an access plate for the fuel tank in the back of my Ramcharger. Since the PO cut the floor up to halfass a fix there anyways. I welded the floor back together and make an access panel while I was there.

• Staff

Another time with my first gen I was coming home from work late and my fuel module, for whatever reason, decided to brake off and flop around in the tank. Tried to fill it up but still had to be towed.I needed that truck the next day and had to be there. Ended up working on it till 3 am dropping the tank and reinstall. It would have saved time if I had an access door and could have avoided the tow home if I rigged the draw straw for temporary.

Best bet would be to cut a chunk out of a junk yard wrecked bed so you could easily match the contours of the existing bed then attached it with either netserts or aluminum rivets that are easy to drill out. A little rtv and some duplicolor factory match paint and it would be hard to even notice.

• Staff

Best bet would be to cut a chunk out of a junk yard wrecked bed so you could easily match the contours of the existing bed then attached it with either netserts or aluminum rivets that are easy to drill out. A little rtv and some duplicolor factory match paint and it would be hard to even notice.

Don, it looks good with the 1/4'' aluminum diamond plate. It is flush with the top of the corrugated bed so won't snag . I like the look of that shiny new door in there too.