• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vacuum and power steering pump recommendations

My vacuum pump seal is leaking and I am going to just dish out the money for new pumps as opposed to just replacing the seals and having to tear into it again or take it to a shop again later. So I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on aftermarket or remanned pumps. I think the guy at my shop said Dodge charges over $900 for the little freakin pump lol, I have already seen some Cardone A1 pump for like $300 so I may go that route unless they suck. I am hoping to upgrade, if that's even possible, especially the steering pump since I know our trucks steering can be quite shotty as is. Also, I think I will do the fuel lines from the vp to the injectors, the injectors themselves, transfer tubes, o-rings and all parts associated with it. I need to stop these leaks once and for all and I don't want to have to keeping tearing things apart because I didn't just replace them the first time I was in there.

I emailed them and it's looking like I may have to go with a remanned vac pump, I haven't seen any brand new ones myself and they don't offer them for our trucks, only the 03-07's. But at $325 shipped that's not too bad compared to Dodge wanting over $900. Steering pumps, I am looking at PSC or Borgeson right now.

Not trying to change your mind.. but we did a rebuild kit from Geno`s on my son`s 99, and its been great for over a year now. they are really quite simple once you get one apart. don`t quote me, but I think they are under $60 bucks as well :2cents:

:think: Still never had any issues with either power steering or the vacuum pump yet. Must have somethng to do with the 30k mile power steering fluid changes and the Frantz Bypass filter on the engine oil. I don't use any synthetics oils in either the power steering or engine oil.

Unfortunately I bought the truck with just over 200k on it, so I never even had a chance to keep it maintained... oh well, it's up to me now to prevent future issues, just wish it wasn't so expensive.

You are going to give someone 325.00 for a pump that will have the same thing done to it that you can do with a 60.00 kit. And you know the vacuum parts works on yours, you have no idea of the history of the one you are getting. Just my :2cents:Rick

I just used a $15 vacuum seal kit i got off ebay and ended up with a new steering pump to fix the worn drive gear and groove on the steering pump shaft. Works great and leak free. I went ahead and flushed the PS system while I already had it half drained too.

Good point there, didn't think of it that way. Perhaps I will go with the rebuild kit. I also looked around at PS pumps and I may just wait and save up for the complete Borgeson steering kit as a true upgrade to the whole system. It's like $900 something for gear box, pump, hoses and steering shaft. My steering isn't too bad for the miles my truck has, slight play in the wheel but nothing to waste money on now. I'll knock it out as a whole when I have the money saved.

• Owner

Wow! $900 is a lot of money to drop on a steering box. :wow::spend:Once again the life of the stock steering box is based on the size of tires on the truck. If the tires are smaller 235/265 then the stock gear box will hold up forever. But install oversized tires and steering issues start happening hand in hand. So far at 212K on the clock my stock box is still tight and got zero issues. I've done one sector adjustment to pull a bit a slack out. But when it starts to leak I'll get steering box re-seal kit and do it myself for much less than $900...

Good point there, didn't think of it that way. Perhaps I will go with the rebuild kit. I also looked around at PS pumps and I may just wait and save up for the complete Borgeson steering kit as a true upgrade to the whole system. It's like $900 something for gear box, pump, hoses and steering shaft. My steering isn't too bad for the miles my truck has, slight play in the wheel but nothing to waste money on now. I'll knock it out as a whole when I have the money saved.

We did a reman steering gear, pump, new lines, and installed a filter in the return line from Oreilly`s for a little over $300 bucks, Not sure how much better the Borgeson is?? Just depends on what fits your budget. When my Son brought his 99 home everything in the left front engine compartment that could leak, was leaking LOL! it was so bad you could not even tell where to start. 1. Transmission line rubbing against the frame.. Fixed 2. Vacuum pump installed rebuild kit.. Fixed 3. Steering gear box... Fixed 4. Hydro boost.. Looking at a rebuild kit when he has time to park it for a few hours Its been quite the experience, but he can almost park in the driveway now:thumb1:

+1 on the gould rebuild kit. For $60 you get a couple sets of seals if you mess one up, the pvc fittings for driving in the new seals, a dvd, and telephone support from Gould, I called him at least 3 times. Either way rebuild or not, you'll skin your knuckles and swear a bit getting them out/in.

Wow! $900 is a lot of money to drop on a steering box. :wow::spend: Once again the life of the stock steering box is based on the size of tires on the truck. If the tires are smaller 235/265 then the stock gear box will hold up forever. But install oversized tires and steering issues start happening hand in hand. So far at 212K on the clock my stock box is still tight and got zero issues. I've done one sector adjustment to pull a bit a slack out. But when it starts to leak I'll get steering box re-seal kit and do it myself for much less than $900...

Yes it is expensive, but that's not the price for the gear box, you also get an upgraded PS pump, new lines and an upgraded steering shaft. It is supposed to completely change the feel of your truck. I don't need anything yet, my tires are stock 265's so their not tearing up the steering system yet. Couple the borgeson kit with the Rock Solid bushing I have sitting in the center console, I think my truck will feel better than brand new.

We did a reman steering gear, pump, new lines, and installed a filter in the return line from Oreilly`s for a little over $300 bucks, Not sure how much better the Borgeson is?? Just depends on what fits your budget. When my Son brought his 99 home everything in the left front engine compartment that could leak, was leaking LOL! it was so bad you could not even tell where to start. 1. Transmission line rubbing against the frame.. Fixed 2. Vacuum pump installed rebuild kit.. Fixed 3. Steering gear box... Fixed 4. Hydro boost.. Looking at a rebuild kit when he has time to park it for a few hours Its been quite the experience, but he can almost park in the driveway now:thumb1:

lol I HATE leaks, don't know what I would of done if my truck was that bad.

+1 on the gould rebuild kit. For $60 you get a couple sets of seals if you mess one up, the pvc fittings for driving in the new seals, a dvd, and telephone support from Gould, I called him at least 3 times. Either way rebuild or not, you'll skin your knuckles and swear a bit getting them out/in.

Just ordered the rebuild kit last night, along with some rv275's, o-rings and connector tubes. Not only will I be leak free soon, I will be upgraded.