• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Maplight permananent fix

I was about to order another wire harness for that to the tune of $26-36 from ebay. I'll go to radio shack instead. Right now, I have my map lights hot-wired to the circuit for the overhead console light so that when the door opens or I rotate the dimmer all the way they all come one. That was my fix a couple years ago, and it works, I just don't have the on/off function. Thanks again. On my way to Radio Shack as soon they're open this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Got my map lights fixed. For reference, the radio shack part number 275-1555 referenced in the link at the top is correct. Just have to file down the lens 'nub' on the lens a tad to get the clicker to work properly.

• Like 1

I've got the doors off the overhead console. I can release the front pair of snap latches (pull down with difficulty, not enough to clear the latches). I see the rear tabs, console must move back to clear them. I can't budge it. Give me some help here!! How do I get the comsole free? My display is totally dark. Lights still work!

I've got the doors off the overhead console. I can release the front pair of snap latches (pull down with difficulty, not enough to clear the latches). I see the rear tabs, console must move back to clear them. I can't budge it. Give me some help here!! How do I get the comsole free? My display is totally dark. Lights still work!

So, you push the tabs inside the garage door opener compartment and pull down slightly. There are 2 tabs at the rear of the console which need to be slid aft. So, while maintaining some gentle downward pressure, you slide the entire console to the rear and it should release. Then there is the wiring harness for the console which simply unplugs so you can take the console completely off. Hope this makes sense.

You shouldn't have had to remove any of the 'doors' on the console.

Here's from the manual:

[*]Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

[*]Open the garage door opener storage bin door and locate the two overhead console latch tabs near the front of the bin.

[*]While pulling gently downward on the front of the overhead console, push the latch tabs forward until each latch is disengaged from its receptacle in the inner roof panel.

[*]Slide the overhead console rearward far enough to disengage the two mounting hooks on the rear of the housing from the mounting holes in the inner roof panel.

[*]Lower the overhead console from the headliner far enough to access the wire harness connector.

[*]Disconnect the roof wire harness connector from the overhead console wire harness connector.

[*]Remove the overhead console from the vehicle

I removed the doors because I was afraid of breaking them off while I tried to pull the console back. Even with the tabs inside the garage door comp released, I wasn't able to get the console to flex down enough to clear. I tried wedges between the console & the headliner without success in moving the console back.

Still no luck? The first time I did this a couple years ago to see what was wrong with the lights, it all slid back nicely. The other day, it seemed to hang a little as I was sliding back. I can tell you that while sliding the console rearward, it doesn't feel quite right, in other words, feels like you're going to break something. Too bad you're not in Flagstaff anymore, or I'd come over and give you a hand. Those tabs on the front need to be completely disengaged, though, in order to slide the assembly back.

I might not have gotten enough flex in the rear tabs. I sure wasn't able to completely free the front latching tabs. I'm thinking of trying a heat gun on the rear tabs to encourage the rear to flex to allow the front to be pulled down. Old brittle plastic is not a good situation. Maybe parking the truck in the sun might be a help.