• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ordered a fuel boss this morning

Yea I still have the factory lift pump installed and it still works. About 3 years ago I broke the belt off the Boss by going through a very high and hard snow bank left by the snowplow. Snow must've wedged itself up in the and popped it off , it went right back to the factory pump to supply fuel. Knock on wood, I have had literally no issues with this pump at all other than that one belt, and that was my own fault. A buddy of mine bought one about a few weeks before mine, have never heard him say he's had any issues either. Only thing i'd say about this pump that you should maybe consider...if you're an offroader that goes in mud bogs, you may want to look at making a little cover or something to keep the mud or rocks from going up in around the pump and getting at the belt. If you're just a road driver..no worries

From reading this, I'm assuming you left the OEM pump as is, and then plumbed in the mechanical after it? Did you leave the factory lift pump "powered up", or pull the fuse and let the mechanical pump just pull fuel through it ? I'm all stock, but upgrading the fuel supply appears to be one of the first things I should do.. Really like the idea of a mechanical pump,but from what I'm reading the belt life leaves a bit to be desired?

How come some of you went with a fuel boss verses the Assassin pump? The thing I like about the fuel boss is that Hobb switch and using your stock system as back up.

That's exactly why I went with the fuel boss. I ordered the switch for the cab, too, so I can turn on the stock pump when I want to prime after a filter change. Bumping the starter gets old. I have a small LED I'm going to wire up as well, to let me know if the stock pump turns on while running as sort of an early warning of a belt break, etc. I received mine today but won't get to put it on until a week from Monday. I'll do as good of a write up as I can and try to take some pics as well. I do plan on fabricating some kind of shield to protect the belt from debris. I ordered an extra belt as well from Glacier to keep under the seat.

I can't speak for DTT and the assassin, but Richard at Glacier Diesel has been more than helpful so far with questions, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

From reading this, I'm assuming you left the OEM pump as is, and then plumbed in the mechanical after it? Did you leave the factory lift pump "powered up", or pull the fuse and let the mechanical pump just pull fuel through it ? I'm all stock, but upgrading the fuel supply appears to be one of the first things I should do.. Really like the idea of a mechanical pump,but from what I'm reading the belt life leaves a bit to be desired?

Here's the install instructions for the fuel boss attached. [ATTACH]5382[/ATTACH]

It does a good job of explaining the plumbing.

98.5-02-Fuel-Boss-Install-Manual.pdf

• Like 2

Yes I left the factory lift pump there so if a belt breaks it automatically goes back to the factory LP for supply, and it does work as i saw when I broke the belt. As for issues with the belts breaking @ low miles, I personally have had no issues or have heard of it until this thread. A call or email to Richard at Glacier may shed some light on possible causes of it :think:
  • Like 1

That's exactly why I went with the fuel boss. I ordered the switch for the cab, too, so I can turn on the stock pump when I want to prime after a filter change. Bumping the starter gets old. I have a small LED I'm going to wire up as well, to let me know if the stock pump turns on while running as sort of an early warning of a belt break, etc. I received mine today but won't get to put it on until a week from Monday. I'll do as good of a write up as I can and try to take some pics as well. I do plan on fabricating some kind of shield to protect the belt from debris. I ordered an extra belt as well from Glacier to keep under the seat.

I can't speak for DTT and the assassin, but Richard at Glacier Diesel has been more than helpful so far with questions, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the install instructions for the fuel boss attached. [ATTACH]5382[/ATTACH]

It does a good job of explaining the plumbing.

Thanks for the info- thats a great idea to putting a indicator light in to show when the electric pump kicks in!

• 4 weeks later...

Currently I have the carter and new wiring harness (hobbs switch) completely disconnected because it's throwing codes. I'm just running off the fuel boss with no issues. I was just wondering if that set up is ok for the truck, other than not having the automatic switch to the carter pump? Anyone?

Don't know if answers your question, but Richard told me some guys leave the hobbs unplugged, and simply run a toggle from the pigtail harness into the cab, the logic being they would be in control of when to flip on the stocker in event of a fuel boss belt failure. I wonder what's throwing the codes. Is your pigtail completely connected and did you use any di-electric grease on the contacts? Maybe something else going on? Maybe the carter on its way out anyway?