• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel mileage update

In my area, I pay more for propane by the gallon than I do diesel fuel. If the same is in your area, all you're doing is replacing the diesel fuel source with a more expensive fuel source...........propane. So your figures would be "skewed"!!! Just saying though.:smart::2cents:

" I've wondered that too; are the guys running propane figuring in that fuel with their diesel fuel consumed?? Propane around here is 1.05 gallon (bulk). I have a couple JD 4020's that are propane powered, I fill them out of our 1000 gallon tank. Also have a 8.3 litre chevy power unit that pumps irrigation that is on propane. All in all, those rigs will burn about 50% more gallons of C3H8 than similar hp diesel engines. For me, the 1.05 propane is more economical. Diesel would have to be 1.60 or less.
  • Like 1

" I've wondered that too; are the guys running propane figuring in that fuel with their diesel fuel consumed?? Propane around here is 1.05 gallon (bulk). I have a couple JD 4020's that are propane powered, I fill them out of our 1000 gallon tank. Also have a 8.3 litre chevy power unit that pumps irrigation that is on propane. All in all, those rigs will burn about 50% more gallons of C3H8 than similar hp diesel engines. For me, the 1.05 propane is more economical. Diesel would have to be 1.60 or less.

I'm paying over $4.00/gal for propane here. I use it to run my forge to modify and shape horseshoes that I fit on horses. Hell, if I weren't paying $3.75/gal for diesel; I'd make a run to Nebraska and fill up my 2 100# propane tanks!!!! Especially for $1.05/gal.:smart::2cents: I currently run 2 40# propane tanks in my work trailer.

I am working in Terre Haute In. I have made 4 trips back home to NC. I fill up before I leave and it is 627 miles one way and I am running 75 mph. I fill up when I get home or back to work. Every time it takes 33 gallons +or- a 1/4 gallon. That is 19 mpg. Before the RV's I got 18 mpg for similar trips.

That's without the 5'ver in tow, correct?
  • Like 1

I don't know if I am really saving money by running propane, but I sure like to use the numbers on some of the people that claim "I get 20 mpg towing my fiver through the mountains". I do know that my truck has a bunch more get up and go with it so it makes it worth it for me! Just an FYI, the price of propane varies so much across the country that I don't even look at the price anymore.......

I don't know if I am really saving money by running propane, but I sure like to use the numbers on some of the people that claim "I get 20 mpg towing my fiver through the mountains". I do know that my truck has a bunch more get up and go with it so it makes it worth it for me! Just an FYI, the price of propane varies so much across the country that I don't even look at the price anymore.......

When my truck was new I was not real happy with it. Mileage and power were not what I expected. I was talking to my wifes cousin about it and he sympathized with me. Told me something had to be wrong with it because he got 20+ mpg out of his 454 Chevy. Never could figure how big a trailer he was pulling to get that mileage.