• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stub axles

Has anyone here swapped out stub/outer axles on a 98 and put in 2000/2002 axles and bearings? I have looked at and measured both axles and bearings, 02 axle just a bit shorter, inner bearing the same, 02 has the studs in the bearing flange. Both use the same u joint and mount to the knuckle on the 4 bolt holes. My goal is to have the free float rotor with the newer set up. Please include any pics and if you had to modify anything to make it work. Thanks Dave.

The only real option you have if sticking with all Dodge parts is swapping complete axles out, and even then Im not sure if the mounts are in the same location because the later model axles are narrower. Aside from the axle shafts being shorter, the spindles mount differently at the ball joints. The parts between the two are just not interchangeable, unfortunately. Alot of people do the Ford outers swap, I think theres a write up on it out there somewhere, maybe on Pirate 4x4? Ford used the same ball joint configuration so its as easy as swapping the Ford spindle and hub assembly which will give you slip on rotors and manual lock out hubs. The calipers they use are also alot better than the single piston crap Dodge uses. I would like to do the conversion myself someday.

• Like 2

FWIW, this will NOT work for the following, 1st, the 02 bearing and flange has a narrower profile. 2nd, rotor will not set centered in caliper because of the bear profile. 3rd, I found all this out by trial assembly, when stub axle, hub bearing attached to inner axle and attached to 98 knuckle and you start to tighten axle nut, it all binds, will not turn. The 02 axle and bearing draw the u joint to deep into the knuckle. I had to see for myself, and waste a day of my precious time!! I hope this saves some one else some time, thanks Dave

Diesel4 if your interested the ford conversion, need ford dana 60 frm f350 DRW yrs 92 to 97 maybe 98. Yes frm knuckle out. Tie rod ends may seat to deep if worn so a washer on tie rod ball joint will do. Thx for the input, Dave.PS the salvage yard, crags L., And google all took 3 Days to locate one close, 2hrs drive...

• Like 1