• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

changed alternator and...

I changed my alternator this morning. Went from a Bosch to a Napa Denso. The install went well, but when I started the truck, the scan gauge II did not pick up the water temp for the intake temp for about 5 minutes. I shut the truck off, restarted, and started registering water temp and intake temp after a few seconds. The alternator is putting out 14+ VDC. Rated at 136 Amps. There were no codes thrown, and yesterday was working fine after my radiator flush/water pump repl/and t-stat replacement. Anyone have any ideas of anything I should check should this recur? Thanks.

• Owner

Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative. Check DC voltage then Check AC voltage. DC Voltage: 13.5 to 14.5 DC Volts (Passing grade)AC Voltage: Less than 0.1 AC Volts (Passing grade)If you get a instant 31 Volts AC your DVM is low quality and is not capable of measure different frequencies other than 60 Hz household. Oscilloscope is the best way to measure alternator output but not everyone has one.

• Like 1

Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative. Check DC voltage then Check AC voltage. DC Voltage: 13.5 to 14.5 DC Volts (Passing grade) AC Voltage: Less than 0.1 AC Volts (Passing grade) If you get a instant 31 Volts AC your DVM is low quality and is not capable of measure different frequencies other than 60 Hz household. Oscilloscope is the best way to measure alternator output but not everyone has one.

Positive of what to positive of what ?