• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

killer dowel pin question

If it's not leaking oil you're prob OK. The bracket mounts to the engine with 4 bolts and the fan mounts to it. I'll see if I can get a pic. Mine's a 99 on it's second engine and both had stepped case. I peened it over just to be sure. Oh, and I had to grind a cheap wrench down to get on the one bolt but it's still better than fighting that fan nut.

Which bolt would that be that you had to grind down a wrench? What size was it, and how far down did you grind it?

Another fairly easy way to pull the fan is to put a pair of slip-joint pliers (otherwise known as Channellocks) on the big nut and then use a 2x4 (or something similar) and place it on the handle of the pliers to stick up just above the radiator. Then use a decent hammer and smack the end of the 2x4. It will break the nut loose with a couple of good smacks. Just using hand tools I can tab a pin and put a new seal in in about 2 1/2 hours and not rush it.

Which bolt would that be that you had to grind down a wrench? What size was it, and how far down did you grind it?

It's the one in behind the pulley,3/8 I think, and just far enough so the wrecnh slides in

Is there something different about the 2nd gen 24 valve dowel pin? On my first gen I first hammered the the dowel pin in with a straight punch, then peened the curcumfrence with a center punch. No way it's ever comming out. I dont know understand why a kit is avail unless there is something different about the 2nd gens.

Not sure about the 1st gen.The kit for the 2nd gen that I used came with a flatten and stretched washer and a front seal to use after removing the cover. Also while the cover is off be sure to remove the 5 bolts [one at a time] clean the threads put a little BLUE Loctite on then re-install and torque. On mine one of the five was only a little tighter then finger tight.

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, 4Hchugalug said:

What’s the best way to get to the kdp? 

You have to remove the front gear cover. That requires removing  several items off the front of the motor and the radiator if you want  more room. None of it is difficult. Some folks say a few hours, me it is at least an all day job. I dont rush myself.

• Like 2

• Owner
  • Fan belt
  • Fan assembly from the block. 
  • Crank dampener
  • Radiator (optional)
I've done mine like I said pull the belt and the fan assembly and left the radiator in. Pull the crank dampener and you should be able to pull the gearcase cover. If you pull it make sure to have a fresh crank seal ready. Now install the crank seal into the cover. Another member had a killer write up showing that you can buy 4 or 5 long bolt cut the heads off and use it for alignment dowels to slide the cover back in place. With the alignment dowels, you can get the seal over the crank much easier. Sad part the pictures are all lost to the Photobucket issue. 

• Staff
On 10/11/2018 at 9:43 AM, 4Hchugalug said:

What’s the best way to get to the kdp? 

By doing what is said above in this thread. I worry not knowing if my trucks have the KDP or not. I have an 01 and an 02. It's less likely the 02 was built with a KDP, but no way to know for sure.

They all have the dowel but as I understand the hole in the later cases is stepped to prevent the pin from coming out. Here it is in my 02.

20170528_134611.jpg.2f4fa93b3a188aacdfb90e23a9bad0bd.jpg

The two differences I saw in my gear case and one for a 99 is the bulge in the case just below the second bolt hole above the pin and the thickened area of the case between the 2nd and 3rd bolt hole below the pin. On the 99 there was no or thickened area. Whether that is indicative of a safer case I dont know for sure.

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Tractorman said:

Maybe the KDP will fall out and make it leak sooner, then your wish would be granted.  Of course, then there might be other minor things to repair as well.

- John

Not entirely what I meant, I was just saying if my seal would leak I'll have a reason to remove the cover and find out what case I have. Changing the case is not a minor repair, I don't even know what I would do if that ever happened. Probably fix it then move on I suppose.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Not entirely what I meant, I was just saying if my seal would leak I'll have a reason to remove the cover and find out what case I have.

@Dieselfuture, I apologize for my dry sense of humor.  I did know what you meant and actually I am in the same boat with my 2002 truck.  I will also be checking my potential KDP when it is becomes necessary. 

Of course, we could schedule replacing the seal as a maintenance item instead of waiting for failure (oops, there goes my humor again)..  After all, it's not like we haven't gotten the miles out of the seal.

- John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1