• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sticky brake caliper

To make a long story short.. We have replaced both front calipers & hoses on the 99. The pass side brakes, and releases normal. The drivers side is still sticky ?? It does have 4 wheel ABS... I`m not sure of the proper name, but the ABS "valve body"?? seems to be the next thing in line.I`m wondering if anyone else has seen a similar issue:think:

I guess the next reasonable step would be to jack it back up, and start cracking lines loose until we find the source of the restriction:shrug:Its not like its frozen so to speak, but there is enough friction on it, I can see it getting hot, and the premature brake wear issue will continue:banghead:

I had a rebuilt caliper start sticking less then 100 miles after install. Spoke to a brake company and he/they blamed it on poor piston/caliper tolerances specific to dodge truck calipers but he was also trying to sell lap mated calipers for $100.00 a pop. You might want to exchange it for another unit and see if it's just the rebuild. I can see a rebuild unit piston hanging up and not allowing the seal to pull it back. Don't know of anything else that would cause only one caliper to stick. Hope this helps

• Like 1

• Owner

I do my caliper tuning myself. I simply remove the pistons and using 600 grit sandpaper I tune the piston to fit the bore without the seals in place. The piston should drop to the bottom of the bore without being push in. Remember this is without seals in place.

• Like 1

What has me perplexed about this is two weeks after he bought the truck the brakes went out.. After a closer inspection the inner side of the drivers side rotor was worn almost completely into the cooling fins.. it was so bad that the piston actually came out of the caliper.After replacing calipers, pads, and rotors I assumed the problem was solved.. Well 25k later the drivers side is worn back to metal on metal.. Lucky it was caught in time that the rotor could be saved.I had the caliper out on the bench with a C clamp, and used compressed air to run it in and out.. It seems to operating pretty smooth.. so we replaced the rubber lines thinking maybe the drivers side was collapsing?? but there still seems to be some restriction on this one side.He was on the road working today so we have`nt had a chance to look at it.. I`m thinking maybe we ought to take it back off and pop the piston out and see what kind of tolorance we have. At least we could confirm, or eliminate the caliper as the issue