• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trans. temp gauge

Hey guys, got the trans. temp gauge installed. An isspro ev2. But I don't think its working properly. :banghead:I wired everything according per instructions. But the gauge does not show a reading on temp, nor does it dim.I have checked my wiring and I could'nt even fathom how any of it could be incorrect. I was thinking it was the gauge? Gonna go to the business I went to that I purchased it from. Did not know whether or not anyone would know whats going on?

As the last 2 posts say....... If it is an electric gauge it should max out if the sender wire is grounded and second if the sender is mounted in the pan and the temp gauge starts at 100 or more you will think it is broke until you get some good around town driving or long trips. I had 2 gauges at one time checking temp differences at different spots on the tranny and in the front converter output line it the fastest reacting and most accurate, I saw no difference in temp between the servo port and the pan but both were always consistently 30-50 degrees colder reading than the cooler line port.My tranny ran around 150 on average driving reading at the cooler line and thus the gauge hardly ever moved when I was reading at the pan or servo port because the gauge started at 100-110 degrees at the low end.

Well, I went to the business today and the guy came out and helped me troubleshoot it. Took another trans. temp gauge that was made for a ford and hooke it up. Its all he had at the moment. It instantly read the temp. But it would not light up.So we put mine back in and he looked at it. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Got a test light and started poking around. We eventually figured out that my connector to the dimmer wire did not pierce the wire. So we took that off and hooked it up to the existing wire I have for my other 3 gauges. That definitely was a solid connection. Except even after that, the gauge would still not dim. Although, now with the test light, it showed it the wire functioning.As for reading, he was stumped. So he ordered another gauge. I'll have a new one I gotta go out and pick up in the next couple days.I located the sender on the output line from the transmission that goes to the radiator style cooler. Which I searched and found on CF that is the hot line I want to read from.When I had the ford gauge hooked up, I think it did read my trans. temp at 150. The gauge starts at 100 and goes to 280. But it don't make a lick of diff. if the gauge is bad. :lmao:If I still had the old gauge I would try and test the sender, but I don't. Not unless I can do it with a DMM?

Hex I might be wrong but Im pretty sure you want that sender on the out put line coming out of the trans and into the heat exhanger on the side of the engine. Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe the flow of fluid comes out of the trans into the heat echanger, and from the heat exchanger into the cooler at the front of the truck and then back to the trans. So if you have your sender mounted on one of the cooler lines at the front of the truck the fluid has already travelled through the exchanger. Its been a long time since I looked at the lines so I am going by memory, and a weak one at that :wink:

Hex I might be wrong but Im pretty sure you want that sender on the out put line coming out of the trans and into the heat exhanger on the side of the engine. Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe the flow of fluid comes out of the trans into the heat echanger, and from the heat exchanger into the cooler at the front of the truck and then back to the trans. So if you have your sender mounted on one of the cooler lines at the front of the truck the fluid has already travelled through the exchanger. Its been a long time since I looked at the lines so I am going by memory, and a weak one at that :wink:

I'm having a hard time trying to locate the thread that I referred to on CF. They said to mount it on the line that comes out of the transmission towards the front of the transmission on the driver side. This line goes to the cooler on the front of the truck. Even still, I don't think that by the time the fluid reached the sender it would be less than 100 degrees... I will double check with the compay I bought the gauge from and see what they have to say as well when I pick the gauge up. If someone here can confirm with us exactly which line it is, I would appreciate it.

It sounds like your definitely having other issues with the gauge not reading, but here's my reasoning or thoughts on the placement of the sender. The further from the trans the sender is located, the longer it will take for the gauge to react to a high temp. If the sender is on the first line coming out of the trans the gauge will read much quicker and you will see any potential issues before its too late. Also I seem to remember there being a 20 or 30 degree discrepency with those type of senders that clamp on the line. So if the gauge is reading 140 the actual temp in the trans will be closer to 160 to 170. That was per the specs in Geno's catalog when I was looking at gauges a while ago, so I don't know if it was just the set I was looking at or if that holds true for all senders of that type :shrug:

You got it, the front line on the tranny is the hot line going to the "Heat exchanger" I still see people referring to it as a cooler. It is dual purpose hence the name Heat exchanger. The cooler is up front by the radiator.

Directed to d4l or me?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so I thought the front line to the tranny went to the cooler, but it goes to the exchanger. So yes, I have it mounted on the proper line.

You have two lines that come out of the driver's side of the trans. The front one is the line that runs into the heat exchanger which is mounted under the turbo. From there it runs to the trans cooler up front. Then back into the rear line on the trans. SO for the front line to get to the exchanger under the turbo, it crosses over in between the engine and trans, kinda tucks up into that spot. Mine had a block right there.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/141809-transmission-temp-gauge-sending-unit-location.html