• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What cargo/tie down modifications have you made.

I am in need of more tie down options than the four measly rear and floor tie downs in my short bed. I have a shell so that takes away the stake pockets. What options have you guys come up with? Hooks, rail systems, I am open to all ideas? Curious to see some setups.

I added a pair of bronze (marine) strap eyes with big self tapping strews through the top of the rail as far forward as I could get them. They'll pass a 1/2" rope, a ratchet strap or a few bungies. Like these: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=63333&familyName=Sea-Dog+Pad+Eye+-+Forged I added a pair of smaller SS strap eyes (marine) with self drill/self tap Motorola screws low on the rear inside the tail gate. They are in constant use to prevent things from walking forward. I am in the process of replacing my stake pocket hooks with retractable ones. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2NO8PC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (set of 6 for that price) Getting those old rubber blocks out of the stake pockets is easier said than done! Several years ago, I cleaned the rear 2 tie downs out of the rear pockets on an extreme hill with a curve... with the gooseneck... bent the eye right over, denting the top of the rail. I really wanted to put a perforated rail inside each side... but the prices scared me off. I have seen the rail systems but I am not sold on them yet. I don't like how the removeable eye anchors stick out.

• Like 1

I like those retractable pocket hooks Russ, I have not seen those before. I have a small section of 3/8 climbers rope fished through my pockets and have them tied in a double fisherman's knot so I can have something secure to hook my ratchet straps to (ratchet straps do not fit in pockets securely enough to be comfortable with). I think I may try some of those out.

Yes, Mac's was the bed rails I was looking at, too.

- - - Updated - - -

I installed the first of these retractable tie down hooks. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I REALLY like them. They don't come with instructions but they install easily. Loosen the screws... the retainer can't drop off because the bottom of the tie down captures it. Rock it into place & tighten the screws. I was thinking of adding a drop of blue locktite on the screw threads in advance so it would not back out but still be removeable. Yes, you can remove & reinstall these. These grip the top of the bed side so one need not remove all of clunky old tie downs.

I'm still trying to get the rubber blocks out of the stake pockets (OCD)... to replace the rest.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

My dad uses rails along the insides of the bed rails. Solid as a rock and is definitely slick.

I would love to see pics of this. I've no right to ask as I've never posted the pics showing my fuel tank access hatch/plate in the bed like I promised :ashamed: