• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

ISX I think has the range of degrees that a VP44 can move.As for the VP44 in stock form it can use the full range of advancement. It just the electronics give more ability to control it and get it advanced quicker.As for monitoring the timing position I would have to say that a DRBIII might be able to such thing. But most normal people don't have about $6,000 to toss out on a tool like that...:spend:I imagine all the Cummins tool should be able to see it too. Once again too spendy for normal people. :spend:

• Like 1

• Owner

40 crankshaft degrees. Don't ask me why they need that much play.

Also like ISX and I discussed the 40* of crank is going to be 20* of cam which its driven from. So if say the initial timing is 13*BTDC then you could have plus or minus 10* of either side of the 13* starting point.

I wonder if that 40 is ALL advance.. or if maybe part of it is actually retarded, say 10 degrees retard and 30 advance. 40 total. Still, 30 would even be quite a bit! Thanks ISX

- - - Updated - - -

Also like ISX and I discussed the 40* of crank is going to be 20* of cam which its driven from.

So if say the initial timing is 13*BTDC then you could have plus or minus 10* of either side of the 13* starting point.

I've never heard of pump timing based off of 'cam degrees'. Crank only. :shrug:

I wonder if that 40 is ALL advance.. or if maybe part of it is actually retarded, say 10 degrees retard and 30 advance. 40 total. Still, 30 would even be quite a bit! Thanks ISX

- - - Updated - - -

I've never heard of pump timing based off of 'cam degrees'. Crank only. :shrug:

1 cam degree is 2 crank degrees... Unless I am thinking of it wrong.

Yes 1* cam is 2* crank and yes its always crank from what I've seen. 12 valve timing is 12.5-14* BTDC on the crank.

80 crank degrees is pretty decent. Do you have a timing curve for a 12 or 24V anywhere? Now if only Smarty would let me play with their UDC for 2nd gen. :ahhh: