• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Frantz Filter Systems

I've got one & love it, one can tell by looking at the oil on the dipstick that even though it may be black it still clean & FULL OF LIFE!Many folks have gone 80K w oil analysis with just changing the TP!

• Owner

I've got one & love it, one can tell by looking at the oil on the dipstick that even though it may be black it still clean & FULL OF LIFE! Many folks have gone 80K w oil analysis with just changing the TP!

Ask Dorkweed about his Motorguard bypass filter and his 78K adventure with WalMart SuperTech engine oil. :whistle:

They claim if you change the paper every 1,500-2,000 miles and top off the oil, you can go I definitely between changes. I'm still not convinced that's smart? I hear that oil doesn't wear out. Just becomes contaminated. I suppose you could spin off the regular oil filter occationally and shake it out too. :tongue:

Do you think the startup at oil changes wears on the motor? You don't get oil pressure for a period...longer than a regular cold startup. Might be another reason to reduce number of oil changes.

If there is any particles from start-up the Frantz will capture it. According to the Frantz site it's supposed to filter down to 1/10 of a micron.

Dave

I have one to put on my Benz just so I can extend my oil changes, 8 qts of Rotella every 5K gets expensive too!

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda disappointing. I was thinking that the filter would clean the oil to a nice amber color. How can you tell that it's clean if it turns black?

It's sorta like the first start-up after an oil change in the Benz, it's clean but it's already black!

Just remember one thing with any type of bypass filters and extended run oil changes guys, the finer you filter the oil via any type of bypass filter the more you are also filtering out the beneficial additives of the oil and this is where frequent oil sampling is crucial, every 5K is recommended. You also need to change out the full flow and bypass filters and keep adding fresh oil at set intervals also to keep additive levels up.Any kind of centrifugal spinner filter set up is awesome and really helps get the super fine soot and other wee beasties out of the oil without filtering out the good stuff like a bypass filter does. There are engine manufacturers that use them even without a full flow filter they do so good at keeping the oil clean but a lot use them with a filter. Belarus tractors for one don't have a filter, only a spinner, MTU Detroit 4 thousand series uses a spinner with a filter as does Cummins on most of the High HP engines like the Q series.

Question for those that have a Frantz by pass. On their website it states these systems are rated for engines with capacities of 8 - 10 quarts maximum. I only see one size canister, are you required to change the butt wipe more often to compensate for the larger oil capacity?My cousin runs a Spinner II centrifugal bypass and runs very long intervals. It is a very nice unit, also very pricey. I've never really looked at Amzoil products (particularly their oil) but was surprised to see their single element bypass units very comparable in price to Frantz's. Obviously the difference being in the cost of the filters (about 35 bucks compared to 35 cents) But in my case I would only be looking at one per year, so not a huge factor.

Just remember one thing with any type of bypass filters and extended run oil changes guys, the finer you filter the oil via any type of bypass filter the more you are also filtering out the beneficial additives of the oil and this is where frequent oil sampling is crucial, every 5K is recommended. You also need to change out the full flow and bypass filters and keep adding fresh oil at set intervals also to keep additive levels up. Any kind of centrifugal spinner filter set up is awesome and really helps get the super fine soot and other wee beasties out of the oil without filtering out the good stuff like a bypass filter does. There are engine manufacturers that use them even without a full flow filter they do so good at keeping the oil clean but a lot use them with a filter. Belarus tractors for one don't have a filter, only a spinner, MTU Detroit 4 thousand series uses a spinner with a filter as does Cummins on most of the High HP engines like the Q series.

Any idea which spinner II filter works the best for our trucks? I'd like to get a group deal on either the centrifuge or a dual inline bypass via the frantz method

Just remember one thing with any type of bypass filters and extended run oil changes guys, the finer you filter the oil via any type of bypass filter the more you are also filtering out the beneficial additives of the oil and this is where frequent oil sampling is crucial, every 5K is recommended. You also need to change out the full flow and bypass filters and keep adding fresh oil at set intervals also to keep additive levels up. Any kind of centrifugal spinner filter set up is awesome and really helps get the super fine soot and other wee beasties out of the oil without filtering out the good stuff like a bypass filter does. There are engine manufacturers that use them even without a full flow filter they do so good at keeping the oil clean but a lot use them with a filter. Belarus tractors for one don't have a filter, only a spinner, MTU Detroit 4 thousand series uses a spinner with a filter as does Cummins on most of the High HP engines like the Q series.

What is added that's beneficial? What's more beneficial, having the additives or having clean oil? Or where is the middle ground?

What is added that's beneficial? What's more beneficial, having the additives or having clean oil? Or where is the middle ground?

Think of it like drinking distilled water versus water with added vitamins, minerals, electrolytes ect in it. You drink nothing but distilled water you will die from lack of nutrients versus drinking water with nutrients in it to help your body stay vitalized and able to cleanse itself. Base oil stock without additives is like distilled water it will keep you wet and oily but won't keep you alive and protected well for long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, was this horse put to pasture?also, something I was reading:[h=3]What is the Cleaning Capacity of a Frantz Oil Filter/Cleaner?[/h] Each single unit will clean up to 8 quarts of lubricating oil (This can be up to 10 quarts with more frequent element changes). Two single Frantz Oil Cleaner/Filters may be installed in a "parallel" sequence to provide sufficient cleaning capability for those engines with a crankcase capacity exceeding 8 quarts and up to 20 quarts.

• Like 1

Rick,I had asked that question about the capacity earlier in the thread as well but didn't get a response. I'm guessing the only downfall would be you have a slightly slower filtering rate, but still better than none?

Roger that!