• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Screaming Beavers

• Owner

Definition of a cord: 4x4x8 feet. (128 cubic feet)Trailer rough measure 8x8x3 to 8x8x4 feet (192-256 cubic feet) Or to make a cord on the trailer: 8x8x2 (128 cubic feet)Needless to say when I started down the mountain the roads where wet and muddy and the first time the exhaust brake hit the trailer was pushing so hard that its started to jack knife the truck at a mere 15-20 MPH. I instantly grabbed the throttle to cancel and pull it out straight again. To fix this problem I had to run 4WD to keep the exhaust brake from jack knifing. Trailer axle was pinned to the trailer frame. My soft Load Range C's where aired up to 50 PSI max and they where looking a bit well soft.

Definition of a cord: 4x4x8 feet. (128 cubic feet) Trailer rough measure 8x8x3 to 8x8x4 feet (192-256 cubic feet) Or to make a cord on the trailer: 8x8x2 (128 cubic feet) Needless to say when I started down the mountain the roads where wet and muddy and the first time the exhaust brake hit the trailer was pushing so hard that its started to jack knife the truck at a mere 15-20 MPH. I instantly grabbed the throttle to cancel and pull it out straight again. To fix this problem I had to run 4WD to keep the exhaust brake from jack knifing. Trailer axle was pinned to the trailer frame. My soft Load Range C's where aired up to 50 PSI max and they where looking a bit well soft.

Eyeballing it to your bed on your truck, I can see that the dimensions of the trailer are what you say they are. I still don't think you have 2 cords on that trailer though... Looks more like 1.5 cords to me. given the air space and it does not look like it is stacked 4 feet tall consistently. :think: I guess you'll find out when those rounds are split and stacked, mister! Now get to choppin'! :lmao:

• Owner

Up here Idaho its sold in both states either in full rounds or split. Typically a slightly lower price like $140-$160 for red fir in rounds and $160-$180 split and stacked. Then if you hold out till winter time and all the roads are closed then firewood can be as high as $200 to $250.

I'm a forum member on ArboristSite. They did a study unofficially, to see what would happen to the volume of the wood in rounds vs split. It showed no measurable diff. between the two.If I can find the post, I will round it up for you guys to see.

I'm a forum member on ArboristSite. They did a study unofficially, to see what would happen to the volume of the wood in rounds vs split. It showed no measurable diff. between the two. If I can find the post, I will round it up for you guys to see.

I would have to call BS on that one because what type of wood you are splitting will determine that one. I could see hard woods or certain pines that split clean and would stack tight like rounds but the wood we have on the plains tends to be very stringy and puffed up so to say it definately takes up a LOT more space once split than in the round, I double haul lots of cotton wood before and after split and it takes several more loads once split. Plus are they measuring with and without the bark on? Because when cottonwood for example is in the round with bark on it yet if cut fairly fresh takes up a ton of space and when split the bark comes off and takes up less space, Too many variables there in a study like that.
  • Like 1

This is for Pepsi that requested this video clip but here we go with more Screaming Beavers...:cool:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XaqG42XrfA

Man, you guys have it made out there. Talk about nice, straight trees. Don't get much easier than that. The "straight" trees I fell, buck and split are still crooked and bent. Not to mention the crooked ones:duh::ahhh:!!!

• Owner

Next weekend I'm going to hand the video camera to my buddy "Kelly" and let him video record me cutting trees. A old rancher named Rex Baker up here taught me a bunch of trick and tips to getting what you want and being safe about it. But in that video that's all Alpine Fir as far as the eye can see that was scorched from the Poe Cabin fire. We are just getting busy clearing a spot to work from. The ground is flat and I can back the truck in to work now. Only about 12 miles from the highway and another 23-25 miles of highway travel.

Went out early this AM to cut some more oak where I'd been cutting over the winter. Finally dried up enough that I wouldn't make tracks in the fields on this "pristine" horse farm that I work at. I've already CSS over a cord from there on 3 prior trips. All hauled in the bed of MightyWhitey.Today I get there, and I have to "hack" my way into where I was working prior because everything has grown up with the wet Spring we're having. I had a lot of wood cut that was sitting because it was too wet to get there to get it out. Today, I got the prior cut wood out and I cut up a bunch more. Filled the bed of MightyWhitey. I still haven't gotten to the "main" trunk of this oak yet. I'm cutting, splittling and stacking the wood from the main branches now. I have 3 more main branches before getting to the truck............which where most of the wood is!!!I'll update this post with pix the next time I make a run from there!!

dam mikey lol.i'll be starting on our new firewood pile, i'll upload some pictures in due time once the permits are had for demolition. i figure we have enough 2x4's to last all winter, not including what we have stored here on the property.