• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

turbo question

I believe your turbo should be an HX? being your truck is a standard and should be wastegated around 22 psi. They make a boost elbow that screws in place of the factory fitting on the compressor housing and it is adjustable to 35 psi. They are around 20 bucks IIRC.I'm assuming you have already checked to make sure you do not have any boost leak?

Since i put this new turbo on i have not seenit build over 18psi of boost. Could they have the wastegate set to that and is there a way to adjust it to where it builds about 25psi?

What new turbo ? You need to restrict the wategate tension ... A turnbuckle for a hy35 and a boost elbow or spring gate for others ...

Yes it is an HX35W. It is not a Holset turbp but a in-house version from the place I ordered. It is just a get me by til I get the new cartdrige for my Holset. It is all the same except name. I did not know if there was a way to adjust the linkage from the actuator or if I would have to get different parts.

Yes it is an HX35W. It is not a Holset turbp but a in-house version from the place I ordered. It is just a get me by til I get the new cartdrige for my Holset. It is all the same except name. I did not know if there was a way to adjust the linkage from the actuator or if I would have to get different parts.

The one from ebay ?? cant remember the name ..... Anyway - you need a boost elbow that allows via a set screw a pressure bleedoff to the wastgate actuator. Basically tightening the screw allows more boost/psi to build before it bleeds off via the wastegate/actuator ... reaching higher boost before the gate opens. Thats the main deal with the hx35. You can play around with the actuator rod to controll when the gate opens as well basically disconnecting from the back and shortening/lengthening as required ...... and clipping back on. Finally check for boost leaks with a boost leak detector ...... you can google it .... but basically a pvc cap on the compressor side of turbo with a air inlet and chareg the system with compressed air whilst monitoring for leaks up to say 20-30psi.

• Owner

I'm using a Edge Products boost elbow and can bury the boost gauge at the 35 PSI pin in just about any gear. So for the OP problem he need a boost elbow. I personally like the Edge Products elbow because there is no need for adjustment because it stop typically at 32-35 PSI.

Since i put this new turbo on i have not seenit build over 18psi of boost. Could they have the wastegate set to that and is there a way to adjust it to where it builds about 25psi?

I didn't see where anyone else asked this, so here: What did the turbo boost to, BEFORE you put this turbo on? Did the old turbo have a boost elbow or standard elbow on the wastegate feed tube?