• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Spent a few minutes at the scales, thoughts anyone??

• Staff

Okay so I stopped by a scale here at work and played around with some of the weights with and without the W/D setup. Overall I am happy where it sits. It tows excellent very smooth, stable, and no sway or porpoising. As with anything, I may be overlooking something. So input is appreciated. The weight's are very close to what I normally see on DOT scales. I didn't have the family, and I got out of the truck for all the weights so the FAW is about 300lbs lower than normal. The scale I used today also wasn't dead level approaching and leaving, so I would assume ±100 lbs is accurate. Like I said, very close to normal weight on the trailer and rear axle, just a little light upfront with an empty cab. Based on the size of the scale I was unable to check the RAW without the W/D (didn't have time to fully unhook and pull away), but can do the math on it. Front Axle (5,200lb rating, 6390lbs of tire rating)4520lbs with W/D hooked up4320lbs with W/D unhookedRear Axle (6,200lb OEM rating, 6390lbs of tire rating)6050lbs with W/D hooked up6200lbs with W/D unhooked (based on FAW and GVW)GVW10620 with W/D hooked up10520 with W/D unhookedTrailer Weight8230Tongue weight with a level trailer1250lbs (15%)Trailer Axle (2ea 5,200lbs axles with 5,080lbs of tire rating)7080 with W/D hooked up6980 with W/D unhookedThis is with my sig truck and TT, a small 4wheeler, firewood, and bikes in the bed and 7/8 of tank of fuel. Suspension highlights are Firestone Airbags at 30psi (1,500lbs of leveling assistance) and a 1" level kit (the main reason for more than a few psi in the bags). The truck and trailer are pretty much level with this setup. I use an Equal-I-Zer W/D hitch. I weighed the truck on the scale 3 weeks ago with an empty bed, full fuel, myself, and normal summer stuff in the tool box. Front Axle5020Rear Axle3360Here is the breakdown in terms of ratings. The first number is axle rating, the second is tire rating. This is with the W/D hooked up as that is normal. Front86%/71%Rear98%/95%Trailer68%/70%To me it looks like I am getting a decent amount of weight transferred with the W/D setup to the truck and trailer, and while my rear axle is close to the tire limit (only one I care about) I think it's loaded well.

• Like 1

Neat AH thanks for posting. Ive always wondered how much weight a w/d really does transfer forward and rear.I would have thought it put more than 100 pounds back on the trailer, thats interesting. Ive got one for my tilt trailer and very seldom haul without it.