• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just upgraded to hx35, not happy

Yeah I think you are good with it being an HX35. I want to know more about what you see Boost/EGTwise at say 70mph on levelish ground. I have about as light of truck as it gets and 2wd low riding as well and see uh I think 5-7psi at 70. Been so long since I've driven it. But yeah you shouldn't be any lower than that is why I'm saying.. Otherwise I would be looking for leaks or turning the turbo shaft after the truck is warm to see how good it turns, check for side to side play etc. Something just seems like that turbo isn't dishing out what it's supposed to.

Ok I just took the truck out for a run today and although it was a bit windy I think I got some good data. Level ground 70 mph with little wind I saw 700* and 0psi coming back later into a headwind at 65 I was right around 700* also but at 3-4 psi. Does this help make anything more clear, I'm just amazed that this think makes Zero boost until its under load, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe that is what it is supposed to do with the bigger turbine and housing compared to the hy

I see around 625 to 650 at 65 and 3 - 5 lbs boost. You should always be under some type of boost, that makes me think you have got to have a leak somewhere in your piping or possibly even your gauge.

Ok that is a bit of a thinker, I'll get out there and look at it now. Where would be the best place to check for leaks, is anything common, I only had to mess with the one boot changing the turbos out and I thought I got it clamped down pretty good. Not much I can do about the gauge but if there's a good test for a boost leak I'm ready to give anything a try

60F this morning, 64mph per gps..

[ATTACH]5680[/ATTACH]

(the lower right boost gauge is actually my fuel pressure gauge, and the red knobbed potentiometer is a temp test for the TPS/trans issue I'm chasing)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

post-10339-138698203935_thumb.jpg

Ok that is a bit of a thinker, I'll get out there and look at it now. Where would be the best place to check for leaks, is anything common, I only had to mess with the one boot changing the turbos out and I thought I got it clamped down pretty good. Not much I can do about the gauge but if there's a good test for a boost leak I'm ready to give anything a try

You can rig up a pvc bull plug fitting the same outside dia as the ID of your rubber turbo outlet coupling and put an air fitting (tire chuck schrader or whatever) in the end of it that will fit in the rubber that the turbo outlet runs into. MoparMan has a write up somewhere, but I can't find it right now. Just slowly pressure up (preferably with a regulator and stand alone gauge) and listen for hissing or use the soapy water test like on a tire. You can also test your gauge this way.

I had a leak past a boot even though the clamp was tight. The boot had degraded inside and the air was escaping between the metal elbow and the hose on the passenger side below the battery. Temporary solution to get to where I was going was to loosen both clamps and rotate the hose 180 degrees and tighten the clamps back up. Now I have boost again. That was a hard one to catch!

I run a s330 single turbo which makes my HX35 look like a kids toy. I only run 4 to 6 psi running down the highway. My egt is around 700 to 800. When i am pulling hills empty might see 30 to 40. When i am hauling hay or a excavator my gauge only goes to 50 psi (order the wrong gauge) and is pegged out and a EGT never get past 1100. Also running 150hp injectors for my day to day drivers. I also have a set of DDP 250hp. When i finish my pro charger set up. I am also running straight 5 inch out of turbo. It makes a huge differences When it come to temps at less in my truck.

mmm i am a cheater i am running it with no waste gate. so that is yeah i am seeing 50+ for boost. Yes i know its bad but i never see high EGT. I have never seen a s330 like this one i was going to get a industrial injectors one but this one is over all over big in size and the shaft looks bigger inside. I got it a a Christmas present from my boss for putting his 12v back together for his truck after he cooked it down. I think it is for a rock truck or a grader. I have a waste gate come with the rest of my parts for my pro charger.

• Staff

I'd be interested to see if you could find some specs on it. I looked into a S330 for the 360° pad, and it was just too much money for a journal bearing. They are a stout setup for sure. High EGT's isn't the only indicator of pushing a compressor past it's map. You can lead to sheared shafts too.

i looked for a couple month to try and find specs on the internet but never could find anything solid. I should got to cat and see if they could find anything on it. Only has cat part numbers on it. Really the only reason i like it so much is that is sound like a jet engine. I get ugly looks all the time on the highway. When i am pulling something and it drive my wife crazy to ride with me that the number one plus. :thumb1:

Even my HX35W is... 55 MPH = 2-3 PSI 65 MPH = 5-7 PSI 75 MPH = 7-9 PSI Roughly speaking.

Ok so for testing it looks like I'm about 55mph = 0 psi 65mph = ~3 psi 75mph = 6-8 psi I'm starting to think that I was just expecting it to spool closer to how the hy did and that simply isn't going to happen. I played with it a bunch more and found that it really does give a lot more of a hit when I'm doing top gear acceleration passes so that is more like I would have guessed. The heat thing is a bit weird but i'm chalking that up to no boost until it gets more fuel. Seriously I can't thank you guys enough for your time and your help figuring this out. I'll revisit the issue again when I get some small injectors put on there and see if that helps it spool down low. Thanks again guys, you really have been great :thumbup2: