• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just upgraded to hx35, not happy

Ok so for testing it looks like I'm about 55mph = 0 psi 65mph = ~3 psi 75mph = 6-8 psi I'm starting to think that I was just expecting it to spool closer to how the hy did and that simply isn't going to happen. I played with it a bunch more and found that it really does give a lot more of a hit when I'm doing top gear acceleration passes so that is more like I would have guessed. The heat thing is a bit weird but i'm chalking that up to no boost until it gets more fuel. Seriously I can't thank you guys enough for your time and your help figuring this out. I'll revisit the issue again when I get some small injectors put on there and see if that helps it spool down low. Thanks again guys, you really have been great :thumbup2:

I get about the same boost numbers. Still, I would look for boost leaks and possibly reevaluate the turbo's condition.

97 12 valve, 4.10 gears, 285/75/16's, stock HX35, boost elbow at 32psi, 100 plate set in middle, star screw so I get a slight haze on full throttle , 4" turbo back exhaust, I run 1900 rpms @ 65 mph = 6-8 # on boost , 8 is with a slight grade . EGT @ around 650-750. Put it to the floor I can hit 32psi boost and 1450 egt.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok that is a bit of a thinker, I'll get out there and look at it now. Where would be the best place to check for leaks, is anything common, I only had to mess with the one boot changing the turbos out and I thought I got it clamped down pretty good. Not much I can do about the gauge but if there's a good test for a boost leak I'm ready to give anything a try

I have found the lower passenger side boot with a hole rubbed into it by the inner fender on 3 different trucks now, mine included. Couldn't hear any leaks driving and didn't really notice any significant power loss unless I was towing. I am really interested in what you find, I've been trying to decide on a turbo upgrade to get rid of the hy on my truck but can't seem to make up my mind. I am seeing 4-6 psi at 55MPH. When I keep it floored, even on level ground, I can peg my EGT gauge (1500 degrees) and hit 42-45 psi of boost pressure.

What is the best way to tell what turbo you have stock? I was told mine should be a HX35 from the factory. 98.5 with automatic. What are the identifying marks on the unit?

• Owner

What is the best way to tell what turbo you have stock? I was told mine should be a HX35 from the factory. 98.5 with automatic. What are the identifying marks on the unit?

On the data plate it should be clearly stamped either HX35W or HY35W...Holset is really good about stamping the model information the compressor housing data plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the HX's come with a v band to clamp the exhaust and others, like mine, bolt up. seems the v band is more prevalent I think. I have not seen that many to know, just basing this on what I have seen and read here.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so for testing it looks like I'm about 55mph = 0 psi 65mph = ~3 psi 75mph = 6-8 psi I'm starting to think that I was just expecting it to spool closer to how the hy did and that simply isn't going to happen. I played with it a bunch more and found that it really does give a lot more of a hit when I'm doing top gear acceleration passes so that is more like I would have guessed. The heat thing is a bit weird but i'm chalking that up to no boost until it gets more fuel. Seriously I can't thank you guys enough for your time and your help figuring this out. I'll revisit the issue again when I get some small injectors put on there and see if that helps it spool down low. Thanks again guys, you really have been great :thumbup2:

am i wrong in thinking that u would have high egt's when u have a air flow leak? i would consider checking ur exhaust manifold for cracks and the gaskets on both sides of the manifold i don't think a turbo diesel should ever be at 0 psi....that's naturally aspirated....at highway speed:banghead: