• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Future of forum.mopar1973man.com

• Owner

Ok Gang... There is some problem occurring here on the forum like IE10 browser, PHP5.4 and IPv6 issues and other small issues. I've been tracking vBulletin site and watching for updates. But it seem that vBulletin classifies vB4 now a legacy software and it still supported but low in priority. Since vB5 came out there is a lot of errors and bugs with that software so majority of the effort is placed on vB5 problems. I've been watching vBulletin now for about 6 months as vB5 is in very bad state and little priority given to vB4 and its current issues. So I've been looking at porting the current site back over to PHPbb software which is a open source free software like the Joomla that holds the article database currently. So what I think I'll do for now is slowly start working at create a parallel site and start setting it up with the help of the family members which we might change some of the operation of the site and make it more pleasing. So trying to keep you informed site issues and react early enough to keep it from getting out of control. Please post up comments, thoughts, ideas, etc... :)

• Like 1

I have been seeing problems everytime I make a post. Everything seems to go fine until I try to add a smiley or hit the submit button. The system freezes up and then I have to wait for it to recover or start over.I just thought is was classical MS bugs as I have the system freeze up when I'M on the web some where also.

I have been seeing problems everytime I make a post. Everything seems to go fine until I try to add a smiley or hit the submit button. The system freezes up and then I have to wait for it to recover or start over. I just thought is was classical MS bugs as I have the system freeze up when I'M on the web some where also.

I get the no smiley thing a lot both here and other sites as well. Freezing up is very rare but on occasion it does happen.

I used to have the same issues on IE. The Google Chrome works a lot better, but i do have some slow loading at times. Not just here but else where. It comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. thanks for keeping us informed, Mike.

• Owner

The problem is that the Internet and other server software has moved forward. Like PHP is going to release 5.5 soon I'm still back on PHP 5.3.24 because the vBulletin can't function on 5.4.x yet. So this is one example of server software moving forward and the our site is being held back because of software company having there own priorities. So now with this issue come forward I'm trying to find a solution that is long term. Yeah I know I could purchase another forum software solution but might wind back up in the same boat again. I've been enjoying the the freeware / open source products lately and there seem to be good things to come from Joomla and PHPbb. Like PHPbb 3.0.11 is released already but back at 3.0.10 PHPbb to care of the PHP 5.4.x issues. So far I've not seen any issues with IE10 on phpBB 3.0.x. Thing is with PHPbb its a much simpler software and has less perks per say but does the basics of providing a forum. Now as for plugins and options I'm looking into those to try and keep as much of the functions as we currently got or maybe improve them. That's the other hang up as vBulletin creeps along also does the plugins for vBulletin. As matter of fact most of the plugins for vBulletin are dying out or not being reproduced in the vB5 line or maintained for the vB4 line. That's another clue it might be time to consider porting over to another product.

Hm, I don't seem to have any problems with FireFox!

As for Firefox I don't have any problem with Ubuntu FireFox or Ubuntu Chromium (fake Chrome) Once again the freeware or open source seem to be keeping up with the technology.

• Owner

I'm pushing forward with this one step at a time. I manage to create a test server for the time being. I got to figure out how to convert the existing vBulletin 4.2.0 database to PHPbb 3.0.11 Database. PHPbb does have a converter for doing this but I got to do some study work on the process of doing it correctly so can fire up the test site correctly. As for the test site its going to be located here...

http://testforum.mopar1973man.com

Now the other half of this conversation. Just because I picked this software doesn't mean its going to work out. This is all test based right now to see how it will look and feel. I'm hoping for plenty of feedback on changes or needs/wants on the site. I know we'll lose some function but I might be able to make up with a plugin or addon. So please check back on it now and then.

• Owner

Still studying and comparing. Like I was looking at speed vs. weight. post-2-138698203967_thumb.jpg As you can see I bench tested forum.mopar1973man.com, vbulletin.com and phpbb.com... I know that phpbb.com score lower in the grade but those are easy to fix issues that would bring it back up to speed. But comparing vB4.2.0 to vB5.0.2 I'm 4 seconds faster to render a page. As for the phpbb I bet I can reach the same speed if not lower than vB4.2.0 I'm currently using with a few tweaks. I've also looked forward into the vB5 just to see what plugins have been produced for vB5.0.2. There is only 39 plugins made for vB5.0.2 as of currently all the current plugins I'm using here on the site have NOT been reproduced for vB5.0.2. So another turn down for vBulletin. vB5 Mods (39) - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=258 vB4 Mods (1,700+) - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=245 PHPbb Mods - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/modifications-1/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

I'm still researching the software angle to see what is going to work the best for the site. I'm looking into Invision Power Board. Look at the plugins and software as a whole to see what works the best for now and the future. I'm still hammering at vBulletin and hoping for a update for the current issues.

I haven't seen errors myself but I know how it feels to be painted into a corner by lack of updates. It sucks.If you find that you don't enjoy the PHPbb switchover from vB, I've had very good luck with SMF (simple machines forum). I have dealings with three of them and admin on 2.Good luck with the changeover whichever direction you settle on.

• Owner

I'm research all ideas right now and verifying some sort of future for the site. What I'm trying to do is switch over and keep things as close as possible to the current setup. Which I know is going to be rather tough. I'm really hoping vB4.2.2 comes out really soon. That would buy me much more time to do research during the winter time and get it flopped over most likely by spring time.