• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Governor pressure solenoid,band adjustment?

I'm going to change my 48RE trans filter and fluid next week (65,000mi) and while the pan's off do the bands as well. I occasionally get a shuttle shift at very light acceleration, and after doing some reading I'm also going to replace the Governor press solenoid with a Borg-Warner one, and the pressure transducer also. I figured the cost of those wasn't alot more than the fluid will be, so might as well do it while the pan is off.A couple questions, approximately how much fluid am I going to need to pick up for this? Replacing the solenoid and transducer look pretty straightforward, but is there anything I need to look out for? Been a while since I've done bands, I was planning on using my beam type torque wrench for the torque but, I have a clicker type also (I just never trust 'em:pray:) do you think it would work better for this? Thanks!

Unsure on the 48re, but the 47re, I needed about 8qts of fluid when I replaced my GPSol and GPSen. The gasket under the Governor Solenoid housing can tear if you aren't careful, and there was a small retainer clip keeping the Sol from coming out of the plate. I also installed a drain plug in the pan. So I drilled a 3/8" hole in the pan before removing it, and drained the fluid that way. Once empty, I then removed the pan, itself, cleaned up the pan, magnet, shavings, and installed the drain plug.

As for bands, I've never been successful, nor do I own an in/lb torque wrench..
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
:smart: Note if you use the GM governor solenoid there are two groves unlike the Mopar that only has one. Line the solenoid ends up and note where the OE solenoid grove lines up. If you put it in the wrong grove the trans will not shift without letting up on the throttle. It is the last grove or the one that seats the GS the deepest!!! Line the ends up to see which grove to use. Trust me if you don't you will be pulling the pan to reset it, I found out the hard way :doh: :banghead:.Don