• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Here all you have to have is a class E license which is nothing more than taking the drivers test again and it just includes some CDL questions. You are still limited to non-airbrake trucks, it really is nothing but a pizza boy license.. I got mine 2 weeks ago so I could get a job with service trucks and such. All you did was go in, take a 25 question test, done.

Oh I'm not too worried about it... There is friends around here that ask me to haul their firewood so I get paid a little bit for fuel and time and do the truck driving for them. Most of my friends either don't have pickups or small Dakota's... :duh: Not like I'm loading up and hauling across state lines... Basically going maybe 40-60 miles round trip. Mostly up forest roads.

I dont believe you have to have a CDL if you are under 26k or hauling hazardous materials, even commercially.

I don't understand all the rules, but in Texas, if you're hauling for money, you need a CDL. But if you can get the officer to believe that you're just hauling for a friend, then you should be fine.

I did a quick look on the NCDMV and it said a class c license was good to 26001 pounds. No mention of commercial or not. My class C license has the same weight on it but states non-commercial. I say there is a good chance I was wrong. just did not have time to dig into any deeper.

I don't understand all the rules, but in Texas, if you're hauling for money, you need a CDL. But if you can get the officer to believe that you're just hauling for a friend, then you should be fine.

Technically IF you are hauling for someone for ANY type of pay (barter, fuel, or even beer!) you need DOT numbers on your truck and are a "For Hire" truck. Around here the DOT have been cracking down on the local racers hauling their own cars because they are racing for a prize therefore are a for profit operation.

• Owner

Holy Cow... :rolleyes:First off I don't need to say anything about "for hire" to anyone other than the person I'm hauling for. Second off like my buddy that asked me to haul firewood for him was present during the haul. I'm talking like some in the area needs someone to go down and pick up a refrigerator at Home Depot, or haul firewood because their pickup is broke down, etc. As for weight I doubt I'll ever be close to 26,001 pounds and require a CDL. Being the truck is only rated for 20,000# GCWR and the trailer is rated for 7,000# GVWR. Well below Idaho CDL requirements.Now if I was hauling a huge gooseneck trailer and hauling vehicles, equipment, construction goods, etc with a trailer in excess of the GCWR 20,000# of the truck and seen by law enforcement doing every day then yes I would say I'm in trouble. But a odd job every now and then (once a month if that) I doubt I got to worry too much. In 25 years of dragging my trailers around I've never been question on who I'm hauling for or why.

• Staff

Well below Idaho CDL requirements.

Did you know that there are 3 kinds of personal plates in Idaho? I didn't, nor does the DMV like to disclose or publish the data. If you don't know what weight you are registered for then it's 8,000lbs GCW.

• Owner

Did you know that there are 3 kinds of personal plates in Idaho? I didn't, nor does the DMV like to disclose or publish the data. If you don't know what weight you are registered for then it's 8,000lbs GCW.

Yea I know. I'll be changing plates this spring. With the old trailer I could more or less sneak by and never had a problem. But now I know I've got to upgrade plates. With RV's though is exempt and special plates are NOT required. Strange huh?...

• Staff

I register mine for 26K, even thou I generally only tow the TT (they are exempt based on the price you pay for the RV sticker), but the weight of stuff in the bed get's me over 10K at times and the truck is over 8K empty so I am overweight with an empty bed. I went for 26K over 16K for two reasons, 1 is it's only a few more bucks, and 2 is I am covered regardless of what I do.

I register mine for 26K, even thou I generally only tow the TT (they are exempt based on the price you pay for the RV sticker), but the weight of stuff in the bed get's me over 10K at times and the truck is over 8K empty so I am overweight with an empty bed. I went for 26K over 16K for two reasons, 1 is it's only a few more bucks, and 2 is I am covered regardless of what I do.

Show off :lmao2:

I have mine registered for for 10k and the fee is $110. When I renewed it I asked about registering it for 20k and the shot to something over $300. I kept it at 10k. My 5th tag only cost $20 IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

I have mine registered for for 10k and the fee is $110. When I renewed it I asked about registering it for 20k and the shot to something over $300. I kept it at 10k. My 5th tag only cost $20 IIRC.

• Staff

I just looked at last years receipt, $94 total of which $15 is for the elk plates, so $80 for 26K lbs. I would guess there are at least a few bucks in there for being 3 years newer. $36 is CHEAP, I wonder how much county has to do with it. My wife's 03 is $64/yr for 8K lbs. My commuter is an 02 and $54/year. When I switched from car plates to truck plates I don't recall it being a big increase, maybe $20?. Well worth it considering Idaho has been nabbing guys for it.

• Owner

36 bucks to register your truck?? :cry: It's $76 a year for mine. Heck even my tilt trailer I pay $48 a year for.

Heck... To transfer the plate from the old trailer to the BigTex was only $5 bucks. When I register the trailer again in 2014 a 10 Year tag is only $28-$32 bucks If I remember right. Last year registration for the 2002 Dodge and including plates. Registration .............. $24.00 Plate ....................... $6.00 EMS ........................ $1.25 ISP ......................... $3.00 Admin. .................... $3.00 Mail ........................ $0.50 TOTAL ..................... $37.75 It's cheaper living in Central Idaho... :whistle: