• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Aggravated Compass and Mileage Computer

I use the 16 oz bottle as my measuring device for the gallon jug. Just need a handy wipe and a paper funnel.

I need to do the same, buy it by the gallon and measure it out accordingly. I need to correct the amount I am using as well, it might be half the dose but it is better than none at all. Appreciate it.

It seems as though he is no longer involved in the buisiness at all As of April. The last several years he was living in Florida in the winters and leaving the buisiness to a close partner which is why the pumps are no longer built in house. The thing I liked about Chip was his willingness to sit on the phone and talk you through a problem regardless of how long it took. I know I sure picked his brain on a few occasions. Hopefully his partner that he turned the buisiness over to is willing to do the same

Does Chip recommend against any lubricants or just againsT 2 cycle oil? Where did you read that at? There is a link floating around somewhere about a test that was performed in a lab with various different additives/lubricants and 2 cycle oil was one of the lubricants tested. It actually tested very well, better than many big name lubricants. Between the good test results and the relatively cheap cost and availability the 2 cycle oil is the preferred choice for alot of people. Chip has some deep roots with some very influential people in the early days of the CTD, I'm pretty surprised he would be against adding the proper lubricant to the fuel for our trucks.

After I bought my VP44 from Chip I emailed questions in general over a period of a week or so. One question was about me using 2 cycle oil to lube my fuel system. I just went back to read his response once again, it will be in my own words since I don't have permission from Chip nor do I want him not to trust me or think I am trying to undermine his experise on Cummins, etc.. I will put in my own words but stay as close as possible to what he said to me. I ask the following question:

Chip, do I need to put a 2 cycle engine oil in the tank for lube to the pump?

Paul Greenlee

Hello Paul,

I am not a chemist, but I do know that ATF has virtually NO additives in it, and additives are what make each product uniquely effective for their specialized job

why people try to outsmart chemists doing what they are paid to do best.

If you want an additive, buy the one designed to do what you want, is my opinion.

Point in fact is, in our part of the world diesel fuel is s*@# and has only a cetane rating of 40 most of the time.

When I get to VA and buy fuel it is 45 and gives me much better mileage, so when I buy fuel at home I put an additive that has a cetane improver in it as well as water removal etc., and the improved mileage actually pays for the additive.

ATF definitely won't do that.

Get my drift? Chip Fisher

Chip was a big help in convincing me that I could put this pump in if I just followed his directions, so I took his and MoparMans instructions and studied them both and installed the pump.

Now I don't know where the ATF came from, if it was a misunderstanding or a brain freeze because I never ask about ATF only 2 Cycle Oil. From what I have learned Chip is an expert on Cummins and has been since Dodge decided to put the first 5.9 Cummins to work in 1989. I didn't want to stir the pot so I just left it alone and figured I would have to make a decision based on what I have been reading. I still go to his webb page and read about the pumps and trouble shooting to to learn. Sorry this was so long and let me be clear that I am not criticizing or disputing anything that Chip said in his reply and that I am learning all I can about additives just so I can have a decent opionion.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems as though he is no longer involved in the buisiness at all As of April. The last several years he was living in Florida in the winters and leaving the buisiness to a close partner which is why the pumps are no longer built in house. The thing I liked about Chip was his willingness to sit on the phone and talk you through a problem regardless of how long it took. I know I sure picked his brain on a few occasions. Hopefully his partner that he turned the buisiness over to is willing to do the same

I have heard the same even though I used email to communicate Chip helped me get this job done. He did tell me that he does keep tabs on the pumps and they are built between 2 builders to his specs only and there is no one in the business that duplicates his builds, so you are getting more than your dollars worth when you purchase one of his. When he says as close to new as you can get you might as well say it is new from all the mods and upgrades he does. If he can sit around Florida soaking up the sun taking it easy that is great...he worked for it.:thumbup2:
  • Like 1

way back when... ATF USED to have real Whale Oil. The automakers all cried when the Feds banned it around 1974, because there was no equal (at the time) for lubricating auto transmissions. It used to be truckers used the OLD ATF for some off label uses... like additives. But it's now relegated to history. Still the uninformed cling to the folklore.

Thank you for clearing that up! I'll bet there was some kind of confusion on his part, hence the repeated referrals to ATF.

Your welcome, I agree that there had to be some confusion over 2 cycle or ATF, it through me off. What really got me was MoparMan putting the reports out there for me to read on how Bosch rated lubricants or additives, I have to learn the the lingo so you all can understand what I am trying to say. I wonder if Chip still drives a Cummins of some sort???? Now on oil and transmission, filters and rear-end gear oil Chip said for me to use Amsoil and Fleetguard. I have the email to be more accurate on exactly what he recommended. I can look for it but all of probably already are familure with these products.

I would agree on the fleetgaurd filters. Fleetgaurd is Cummins. As far as Amsoil, it no doubt is a good oil and if I was ever going to use Amsoil it would be in the trans I have never used it though.I just use the Chrysler Spec ATF+4 it is a synthetic based oil and is pretty good oil IMO. Any synthetic gear oil will work well in the rear diff

If t make you feel any better about it, I have been running 2 stroke in my BCD pump for its entire life. About 65k with no ill effects. I add approximately 1oz per gallon.

It does, I also feel better about all the facts and testimonies that you and others have posted on this Forum that proves how well 2 cycle works with Diesel Fuel. I could tell the difference in the sound of the engine the first time I added it to my fuel. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I would agree on the fleetgaurd filters. Fleetgaurd is Cummins. As far as Amsoil, it no doubt is a good oil and if I was ever going to use Amsoil it would be in the trans I have never used it though.I just use the Chrysler Spec ATF+4 it is a synthetic based oil and is pretty good oil IMO. Any synthetic gear oil will work well in the rear diff

Still learning about filters and Amsoil, I want to use whats best or recommended for my truck. It won't be long and I will have my first oil, fuel filter, oil filter change. Right now the previous owner is using Shell syn. so I will stay on page until I do some more research, just need to go in the right direction and not get too anxious to change things up. Have a good day