• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What size welder

Work on a truck frame ?

What are you asking about welding...I have only done for a little over 40 years and I have welded on many Dodge truck frames that were cracked where the power steering is attached to the frame. I have extended frames and shortened frames and I can probably tell anything you want to know about welding a frame with the type of welding machine you might have. If i am off track bring me back around. Sorry fellows, I jumped in before reading the entire thread...looks like you have it taken care of so please disregard my statement above. When you get into welding and drilling along with the methods of "How To" then it's best to stay back and let someone else handle it.

One thing that worked for me, is I bought two dewalt step bits, and once I had my pilot hole, I used the step bit...I love those things.

Yea, I was just gonna chime in about this as another alternative. As long as the material you drill is not too thick, a step bit works great. If its too thick, you get a tapered hole. :nono: Except them step bits are spendy! A good one cost as little as $30!

Yea, I was just gonna chime in about this as another alternative. As long as the material you drill is not too thick, a step bit works great. If its too thick, you get a tapered hole. :nono: Except them step bits are spendy! A good one cost as little as $30!

They are also called vari-bits and if you are drilling on thick material you can drill both sides to the diameter then use the correct size drill bit to make the finial hole with a lot less metal to take out and a better chance of not bitting and hanging up. The Vari-bit drills are pricy but they work better than anything I have ever used to get a hole started and 99% of the time will not hang up. As far as welding on frames...Most 3/4 and 1 ton frames do not have the tensile strength past mild carbon steel, tractor trailer rigs are strong with higher tensile strenghs requiered for the loads they carry. If you are a excellent welder then you should have no issue welding on a frame or and you should not see your weld crack. The manufacture should have specs on any frame regardless if it is Dodge, Ford, or GM and should be able to supply you with a procedure for welding or modifing on any frame they make. Some trucks are highly modified from the factory or a third party that makes it into a custom rig and they do weld on the frame, crossmembers or anything else that is there in the design. Most frames can be welded with a mig or SMAW using a 7018 equivalent. A 3/32 electrode can be used to weld a frame all day long running anywhere from 70 amps (cool side) to 90 amps (hot side) with a skilled welder behind the hood. It's when you don't have the skill or experience to weld certain materials or items that gets you in trouble. Now I am not trying to get anyone upset but I am also a CWI and a CPWI as well as a cert. pipe/tube welder fabricator for 40 pluse years...I will back up anything I tell you even if I have to figure a way to drive to your driveway. No just kidding about the last part...you have got to have some humor in all of this.
  • Like 1