• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

I'm one of the few that's never had single issue with a NV4500 transmission ever. The only thing I have had fail was the clutch disk. No 5th gear nut problems, no broke input shaft issues, nothing. I tow and haul heavy every summer. No problems at all. Most of it that I figured out is the oversized tires and high torque output of modified engine puts huge stress on the NV4500 which works the 5th gear nut off and breaks input shafts. But since I run a small 235's and capable of breaking the tires loose I cannot pin the torque to these parts and cause a failure like other have mention. Take it for what it worth. I'm at 217K and heading for the moon. Distance to the moon... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_distance_%28astronomy%29 Then I'm heading home again... :woot::hyper:

I'm running 35 inch tires, they have a pretty aggressive tread to em. I never plan on going smaller, or bigger really lol. I'm happy where I'm at tire size wise. I would like to do a 3-4" lift someday and still run 35's. I'm 6'8" so The height of the truck fits me nice lol :lmao:. As far as high out put torque, engine wise. I don't plan on building this engine that big. No big plans for er. She will be my DD, Tow rig, haul rig, all purpose truck, Not sled puller or mud bogger. Now Ive heard that the gear ratio of 5th in the NV4500 is almost the same as the 6th gear ration in the NV5600, whats the advantage then to going to a 6 speed? DOn't get me wrong I'd rather have a 6 speed lol, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of each??

The way that I understand it is the ratios are all pretty close. The 6 speed will give you an extra gear between 3rd and 4th. I can tell you when pulling that extra step would be nice when pulling from a stop up a hill. Was not a deal breaker for me though as I have the 5 speed. I don't notice it unless I am towing heavy. I wish I had the actual ratios but I'm sure someone does and will jump in...

The nv5600 has a little better od ratio than the 4500. I think it's about 100 rpm lower at 70 than the 5 speed. Like said, the big gap between 3 and 4 would be worse with a stock truck and a load. I have had both and really liked my 6 speed, it shifted great and never have me any problems but I bought the truck with 56k miles and no telling what my 5 speed has been through before I got it. I pulled it out of a mud truck on 5 ton rock wells so I doubt it had an easy life.

I like my 6 speed. It is very good for towing heavy especially if you have to start out going uphill. The 5600 is not very diy friendly where the 4500 is. There are some good remans out there in the $3k and + range with good warranties. I had the 4500 in my 96 and it did work well, but I still prefer the 5600.

Having had the 4500 and 5600, I can tell you that for towing, the 5600 makes towing heavy far easier.. the gap in the 3-4 shift is huge; the 6 speed rectifies this.I did the auto-to-4500 swap in my '96 a few years back. It was a cake process.

• Like 1

• Staff

The way that I understand it is the ratios are all pretty close. The 6 speed will give you an extra gear between 3rd and 4th. I can tell you when pulling that extra step would be nice when pulling from a stop up a hill. Was not a deal breaker for me though as I have the 5 speed. I don't notice it unless I am towing heavy. I wish I had the actual ratios but I'm sure someone does and will jump in...

I was thinking about this thread as I pulled up the Montana side of Lost Trail pass on US93 on Sunday at 18K lbs in 95°+ weather. The drive with a NV4500 would have been nothing short of a PITA, or just a lot slower. Here are some examples of the differences. 3.55's, 265/75/16. post-10129-138698205458_thumb.jpg

post-10129-138698205454_thumb.jpg