• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24 valve fuel additive

• Owner

Being I've got 2 chainsaws laying in the back of my truck and mixing 2.5 gallons of 2 cycle fuel at a time. I typically always have a few gallons of 2 cycle oil floating around the property. So yes Opti-lube might be cheaper but not as available as 2 cycle oil since I use so many 2 cycle fuel powered engine its foolish to mail-order Opti-lube just for the one purpose.

Very true- I think I have a gallon or two of 2-stroke in the shop but it's the same stuff that has been there for ages for the few times I do need it. Just throwing out ideas; if the OP isn't using 2 stroke engines frequently I'd suggest looking at cheaper alternatives.

There is a study out that compares a good number of additives, a search aught to turn it up.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-gm-trucks/64-maintenance-fluids/177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

- - - Updated - - -

And an even better table for the data-

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/68-hfrr-testing-of-common-diesel-fuel-additives

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a restriction on downloading the pdf's? Seems I cannot.

Thanks for the new info on the subject very interesting! learn something new every day! I am a new diesel owner and have been using 2 stroke oil but i think i may explore the opti-lube xpd additve as a cheaper alternative.

The XDP is not going to be a 'cheap' route. One gallon of XDP treats 512 gallons of fuel, and one gallon of Summer treats 2560 gallons of fuel; and a gallon of 2-stroke treats 128 gallons of fuel. Yet they both cost ~$50 per gallon, IIRC $52 for XDP and $54 for Summer and ~$12 for a gallon of two stroke. XDP: ~$0.10/gallonSummer: ~$0.02/gallon2-stroke: ~$0.10/gallonFor me it was an easy choice as I don't utilize two stroke engines frequently and it would not be cost effective to buy it a gallon at a time so I ordered the Opti-Summer fuel treatment; I have yet to use it due to swapping from the two 19 gallon tanks on my rig to a 19 aux. tank plus 38 gallon main set up. I will let you know how it compares to 2-stroke in my truck that is used for mostly for daily driving.

• Owner

I used to mix 2 stroke and PS, and after reading some things about PS (power service) I now use straight 2 cycle and truck runs noticeable better. Less surging, smoother, quieter. 1 ounce per gal. :2cents:

:nono: Please don't do this! This is a no-no... Never mix products! :nono:

I realize the poster doesn't do it any longer but just to be clear don't mix... Mixing products can negate benefits or create new problems because of different chemical mixing together possible incompatible issues.

Like with 2 cycle oil most all other products are backwards to 2 cycle oil so mixing typically negates the benefit of both the 2 cycle and the other product so you basically wasted money and got nothing done. :duh:

:nono: Please don't do this! This is a no-no... Never mix products! :nono: I realize the poster doesn't do it any longer but just to be clear don't mix... Mixing products can negate benefits or create new problems because of different chemical mixing together possible incompatible issues. Like with 2 cycle oil most all other products are backwards to 2 cycle oil so mixing typically negates the benefit of both the 2 cycle and the other product so you basically wasted money and got nothing done. :duh:

I know that that was stupid on my part mixing the two, my problem is, I always over think it. Every time I want to do somthing better it always happens as usual. My Grandfather always said don't touch ____ and it won't stink!:smart:

Didn't know that this info was available ...... good stuff! Much appreciated.Will be sending a link to friends.In both trucks, the engine noise went down very noticeably ..... more so in the 12valve.ThanksGreg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

I notice how it affects it more on my 12 valve work truck. Going up the same hill every morning, I can tell when I forgot to add 2 stroke cause it has noticeably less torque.I hope epa doesn't get wind of how us 'diesel dads' love this stuff, they could take it to the tank BY requiring some sort of mandate mixture.