• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I've got a 2013 Rzr S LE , I'm thinking with fluids etc 1500lbs or less, I normally tow it behind my pickup on a 6x10 trailer. Heading down to Pocahontas for the 4th of July weekend ( which is approx 520 mile drive ) and wonder if it would be better to just put it in the back of my truck. Looking at safety issues as well as fuel economy. Truck is a 97 Dodge 2500 4x4 12 valve diesel with an 8 foot bed. It has helper springs and Timbrens. The truck... http://www.rzrforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=77849&d=1372129755

• Owner

You'll be fine. As for the rear axle weight of the truck mine is 2,860 pounds curb weight right now. I've got a rear GAWR of 6,084 pounds which allows roughly 3,224 pounds I could carry over the rear axle. I haul my 700 pound ATV in the back of Mom's 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 without a thought about it.

I haul heavier loads in mine as a seasonal thing...

post-2-138698205099_thumb.jpg

I know your toy is less weight than all this...:whistle:

2002 Dodge 2500 Door sticker

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1546&d=1281643390

1996 Dodge 1500 door sticker

Posted Image

• Like 1

Can't speak for everyone but if your not gonna need the bed space for supplie's(Food, Cooler's, etc.) I would just put it in the truck. The rzr's i've seen are little compared the the 2 or 3 seat 4x4/6x6's one's so should fit good In the truck bed that's alot less worry. Plus 2 less wheel's to blow out, 2 less Bearing's to fail, etc. (I think of every way possible something could go wrong lol) plus as you said it will use less fuel not alot less that trailer wouldn't put really any drag on the truck and also a trailer that small in most of my truck's i can't see it till i turn sharp but in my opinion truck bed hope this help's and have a safe and fun trip :thumbup2:

• Like 1

You'll be fine. As for the rear axle weight of the truck mine is 2,860 pounds curb weight right now. I've got a rear GAWR of 6,084 pounds which allows roughly 3,224 pounds I could carry over the rear axle. I haul my 700 pound ATV in the back of Mom's 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 without a thought about it. I haul heavier loads in mine as a seasonal thing... [ATTACH=CONFIG]5784[/ATTACH] I know your toy is less weight than all this...:whistle:

Gotta put it in front to cab , wheel base is 77" so that's about 6.5ft which would put the heaviest part of the Rzr over the rear axle, so that should be good. My thoughts are hauling it in the back of the truck would save on fuel opposed to hauling it on a trailer ( wind resistance) ?

Hopefully you have a way of unloading it on flat ground, chances are you will have to once you get there. Are you talking about Hatfield McCoy? We were just down there in May. Good riding but I like the Rock House better.

Yep, HM. Trailered there last time, don't feel like pulling the trailer and after a test drive its like almost no weight in the bed. I'm after better fuel mileage and I think this will help. Plus none of the hassles associated with the trailer.

• Owner

I'm always surprised, even the lightest trailer dips my MPG. Put it in the bed if you don't otherwise need the space.

Even both of my trailers the old homemade and the new BigTex TV70 both pull me down to about 16 MPG empty from a normal 21-22 MPG without a trailer. I would tie to the stake pockets with ratchet straps as well as to the tailgate tie rings.

Where are you staying at? We stayed at Ashland, nice campground and the best part is there is access to 3 trail heads from there so once you get there you don't have to worry about driving anywhere. I got elected to haul all the machines up on my 22 ft tilt trailer (27 ft overall) the road coming into the camp ground is very narrow, no shoulders. Requires alot of attention mostly due to other drivers coming head on at high speeds. It's a great place to ride though.

I strapped across the back of the Rzr thru the frame of the machine to the two most rearward stake pockets. Then strapped thru the frame in the front to the two tie down pockets in the bed. Seemed pretty stable and secure.

Second time down there and going to Pocahontas again. I've been to Ashland don't really like the setup. Pocahontas is laid back, much easier to get around, cheaper and still has access right to the trailhead via the Rzr , can ride the whole HM trail system from the resort also.

The one good thing about Ashland is the close proximity of Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek, and Pocohontas. To my knowledge there isn't another campground with access to all 3 trail heads. None of those trail systems are as good as the Rock House or Bear Wallow though, IMO. RockHouse is probably my favorite, lots of technical trails which is what we go for. If you ever get up that way to ride, Twin Hollow Campground is by far the best campground I've ever stayed at in that area. It's literally perched on top of a mountain with excellent views all around. The owner of the campground has a Honda Rincon with over 12k miles on it. All hard miles being where they live. That olol Honda looks whooped as all get out but it runs like a champ.

i don't like the way he has it strapped down. what would it do in an accadent? i load my Yamaha Rhino into my bed. make an X with the straps. from the front of RZR to rear pockets on the bed rails. then from rear of RZR to the front pockets. that keeps it from bumping the cab. no forward or rear movement. here in AZ, DPS will stop you and have you redo the tiedown.

The way the Rzr is strapped its not going anywhere . I only used the 2 straps for test drive purposes. I will have more straps on it next week when I make the trip. There was no front or rear movement , and definitely no side to side movement, with the dirt road I ran on as part of the test drive if it was gonna move it would have done it then.

i don't like the way he has it strapped down. what would it do in an accadent? i load my Yamaha Rhino into my bed. make an X with the straps. from the front of RZR to rear pockets on the bed rails. then from rear of RZR to the front pockets. that keeps it from bumping the cab. no forward or rear movement. here in AZ, DPS will stop you and have you redo the tiedown.

And if DPS were to stop me if I was In that state, first thing I would do is tell the officer to undo the front strap. If he can't do that then he has no reason to question how the machine is tied down. It is secure, even without additional straps.

I think it's an opinionated issue, as far as 'how' to strap it down. If that were the case, then everyone hauling drywall, plywood, groceries, etc., would have a strap requirement. I'm not arguing, just making an observation. I do agree, though, that strapping it down well, regardless of your method, is a safe option. :)