• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Voltage from brake controller

We just put new brakes on our flat deck. Replaced the whole unit at each wheel and now I can barely get the wheels to skid on gravel. (which is a whole lot better than before) I've pulled other trailers that braked a lot harder so I'm wondering what to troubleshoot? How many volts should be coming from the controller? How critical is brake adjustment on these things? To me it looks like there's a lot of room for movement so it doesn't look like it's too critical. I have a Tekonsha Voyager controller.

Make sure your adjustment on the left side of the controller is level, that will greatly affect the braking output. If you slide the manual brake lever, does the wheels lock up?Also, make sure the magnets are in good condition and the drum face where the magnets contact are clean.

Grounds?? Not just power to each wheel but also a return path. I've seen trailers where the axles weren't grounded except through the springs... and others where the grounds were bad & grounding was sometimes through the ball... Check the simple stuff first! While you are at it, check your trailer plug at the truck bumper... can be no better than that. Approach it logically.

• Owner

Kind of like my new Big Tex trailer. I turn the gain all the way up to MAX and worked the brakes off the mountain to seat the new brake shoes to the drums. Because at first brakes did nothing now you can fill light drag from the back of the truck with gain set at 8-9 Volts. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy 2 (P2) controller.

I've played with the level on the controller and have adjusted the brakes. There's one that's a lot weaker than the other 3. I'm thinking I might have a rusty surface where the magnet grabs on that drum so I'll look into that.