• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Centrifuge Filters

anyone have info on these? are there any kinda easy to install kits? i look online but only see things for the big rigs. i like the idea of this type of filer, not for the extended changes. but for the better filtration. i'll still change around 7500 miles as per the cummins manual for my type of driving. thank you for any info you my provide.

• Owner

I don't think there is anyone here with a centrifuge filter. Most us a bypass filter like Frantz filter, Motorguard filter, or AMSOil bypass filters. I will admit the centrifuge filter do a better job of filtering out the soot and debris but the price is high compared to a bypass filter setup.

• Owner

not that much more. might be worth it if i can extent changes and help the engine run till the 1,000,000 mile mark and beyond. I know th big rigs have these. why not the little big rigs.?

Ok. then you want to talk to CajFlynn here on the site. The only thing he did for his 2001 Dodge 2500 was change oil every 20K miles, used a Fleetguard filters, and Chevron Delo 15w-40 and the truck cleared 1.3 MILLION miles. No bypass filter ever used. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/3435-1-000-000-Miles-Yet?highlight=million+miles

on the filter question then.Walmart has Mopar filters and 2 are for the cummins. are these cheep knock offs or the real deal? are they worth running i want to say they are $9-12ish dollars. i don't mid spending the time and money to drive to a fleetgard dealer but none are close to me that i have found yet. Again thank you for any input.

I don't think there is anyone here with a centrifuge filter. Most us a bypass filter like Frantz filter, Motorguard filter, or AMSOil bypass filters. I will admit the centrifuge filter do a better job of filtering out the soot and debris but the price is high compared to a bypass filter setup.

I have 2 1 ton trucks (both 2002) that I added centrifugal oil filters ....here are some notes/comments: There are several competative models - For example: TK55 GPH CENTRIFUGE | Centrifuge For Oil Filtration or: Spinner II Centrifuge Model 25 installation on the Dodge pickup with the Cummins 5.9l diesel engine These devices will remove particulates down to 1 micron ....and don't have expensive filters to replace. (On a commercial level, truck fleets have gone to these type units - sized appropriately - and have gone to 200K+ mile oil changes...but they do regular oil sample analyses to justify the extended oil change interval. For use - the cost of a complete oil analysis might be the same as the oil change - so maybe you merely extend to 20K miles instead of 7.5K to 10K. post-12125-138698205614_thumb.jpg I found some 3/16" plate steel (about 3" wide, 13" long) - and I shaped it into a "lazy s" by using a hydraulic press, blocks, curved pieces, etc., until the top piece curved along the alternator bracket, and the lower piece was horizontal. I put a 1/4" aluminum plate on top ...drilled 4 mounting holes, drilled a larger hole for the drain - including a 1" NPT threading. Install a 1" NPT x 1" barb fitting. Use 1" stiff hose, good for 300 psi and 300 deg. (IIRC). About 3 ft. long. At the lower end - a 7/8" Block Oil Drain fitting to go into the block just above the oil pan and just behind the engine mount. (BOD from Vulcan, about $10.) Suitable high pressure, high temp oil line to go from the spare oil port next to the oil line going to the turbo..and the job is done. Let me know if you have any questions. Note - although installed last year - I haven't put more than 3000 miles on either vehicle - so I really haven't checked for the 'sludge capture' on the spinning assembly.

post-12125-138698205575_thumb.jpg

post-12125-138698205585_thumb.jpg

post-12125-138698205596_thumb.jpg

post-12125-138698205605_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 1 ton trucks (both 2002) that I added centrifugal oil filters ....here are some notes/comments:

There are several competative models -

For example: TK55 GPH CENTRIFUGE | Centrifuge For Oil Filtration

or: Spinner II Centrifuge Model 25 installation on the Dodge pickup with the Cummins 5.9l diesel engine

These devices will remove particulates down to 1 micron ....and don't have expensive filters to replace. (On a commercial level, truck fleets have gone to these type units - sized appropriately - and have gone to 200K+ mile oil changes...but they do regular oil sample analyses to justify the extended oil change interval. For use - the cost of a complete oil analysis might be the same as the oil change - so maybe you merely extend to 20K miles instead of 7.5K to 10K.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5861[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5862[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5863[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5864[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5865[/ATTACH]

I found some 3/16" plate steel (about 3" wide, 13" long) - and I shaped it into a "lazy s" by using a hydraulic press, blocks, curved pieces, etc., until the top piece curved along the alternator bracket, and the lower piece was horizontal. I put a 1/4" aluminum plate on top ...drilled 4 mounting holes, drilled a larger hole for the drain - including a 1" NPT threading. Install a 1" NPT x 1" barb fitting.

Use 1" stiff hose, good for 300 psi and 300 deg. (IIRC). About 3 ft. long. At the lower end - a 7/8" Block Oil Drain fitting to go into the block just above the oil pan and just behind the engine mount. (BOD from Vulcan, about $10.)

Suitable high pressure, high temp oil line to go from the spare oil port next to the oil line going to the turbo..and the job is done. Let me know if you have any questions.

Note - although installed last year - I haven't put more than 3000 miles on either vehicle - so I really haven't checked for the 'sludge capture' on the spinning assembly.

This is exactly what i'm wanting to do. i've seen spinner II on fleebay and CL around here. i'll try this one day. THANK YOU so much for the info and pictures. AWESOME!!!

- - - Updated - - -

the link to the spinner II install is dead. :-( might you have anupdated.?

i can't see mt find anywhere to purchaes these united new online. any advise?

Thanks.

Might be a dumb question... But does the 5.9 put out enough oil pressure to spin that centrifuge system?... I read somewhere that was not a good idea on a 1st gen... Maybe ok on 2nd gen??

sent from my cell...

These centrifugal filters - as noted - are "Bypass Filters" - and typically have an orifice to limit the flow (so as to not deprive the engine components of needed flow.)

Also - they typically have a spring valve that shuts off flow if the oil pressure is below 20 psig - again, to ensure priority flow is engine during startup and shutdown.

My "spinner" is rated for a nominal 0.8 gpm flow, and can hold about 250 cubic centimeters of particles removed from the oil. If the pressure is above 20 psig - it will flow to the spinner - and the spinner WILL spin - and clean the oil!

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly what i'm wanting to do. i've seen spinner II on fleebay and CL around here. i'll try this one day. THANK YOU so much for the info and pictures. AWESOME!!!

- - - Updated - - -

the link to the spinner II install is dead. :-( might you have an updated.?

i can't see mt find anywhere to purchaes these united new online. any advise?

Thanks.

Google can be used to find various sellers for optimal pricing. And if you are handy ...the other unit (TK55) might have better pricing....I found it AFTER I had bought the SPINNER II and hardware to do the install.

A current link to a PDF for the information on the SPINNER II is here: http://www.spinnerii.com/files/comm_id_30/25.pdf

In response to an earlier poster - if the oil pressure is around30 psig - the expected turbine speed isabout 4000 RPM - and a chart of speed vs pressure, as well as oil flow vs pressure can be found on page 2 of the 4 page document.

• Like 1