• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vacuum pump - Rebuild time!

• Owner

She not leaking on the floor yet but starting to consume engine oil. Just to get a 5 gallon bucket of oil I need to drive over 120 miles round trip. I've enjoyed 10 years of not having to add oil. Now when I check the stick at 7k miles on this oil change I'm down 2 quarts already and already added 1 quart back. :duh:

• Owner

That tube seen in the picture is the engine oil feed line. It feeds oil into vacuum pump to lube the parts of the vacuum pump. So as time and age of the seals for the vacuum pump shaft it will start leaking oil out like mine is and get worse over time. Like Dripley he had Exxon Valdez I'd rather fix small problem early on than wait too long and have another big issue.

I cant seem to find the time to fix mine. Hopefully that is coming real soon. I have been leaving my mark any where I park for the past year and a half. Tappet cover is leaking, I think the front main seal is leaking and the it appears the vacuum pump seal is going now. I have already had to add 2 quarts of oil and I am only 4k into this oil change. That is about double what I have been seeing of late. So the Valdez will have to cruise on a little while longer.

Got a free moment to crawl under the Cummins with my camera and shoot a picture of the leaking area. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5822[/ATTACH]

That picture looks familiar. Hey Michael have you done your seals yet? My seal kit comes Wednesday and I'm hoping to get it done this weekend...it would be nice to have a guide other than the cummins manual...hint hint

• 3 weeks later...

man i came on here doing a search and found this. i thought my oil line was leaking but now i think its the vacuum pump. i did the relocate of the breather pipe and i thought i fixed it but then it cam back and when i start my truck the oil gauge is dead for like a second and the check gauge light is on. then it jumps up to 40 but i notice at idle some times it is below 40/ it is covering the side of my block from the oil line down and it is all over my suspension. would this oil leak cause a vacuum leak in the pump also?

man i came on here doing a search and found this. i thought my oil line was leaking but now i think its the vacuum pump. i did the relocate of the breather pipe and i thought i fixed it but then it cam back and when i start my truck the oil gauge is dead for like a second and the check gauge light is on. then it jumps up to 40 but i notice at idle some times it is below 40/ it is covering the side of my block from the oil line down and it is all over my suspension. would this oil leak cause a vacuum leak in the pump also?

Oil pressure at cold start up should be a lot higher than 40. When warmed up mine idles at 40 or just under. I'm not sure about the other

thanks for the number too. the kit was like 13 dollars and change. installed it today but it still leaked oil but not from the vacuum pump. i started looking around and there is a crack on my tappet cover gasket so i will tackle that tomorrow. gonna buy a felpro gasket from napa, are they any good? also i just removed my power steering pump and pushed it aside still connected to its lines and when i installed the vacuum pump i just installed it hand tightened the bolts and then slid my power steering pump on to it and then turn the generator with a ratchet counter clock wise while i put a little pressure on the steering pump the gear turned on the vacuum pump and the shaft fell into the that cross washer when it lined up

well i rebuilt my vacuum pump and still oil leak so i crawled under there and just started wiping down while it was running and then took it for a quick run and boom oil on the side of my block and not on my pump turns out the tappet cover was the trouble maker just pulled it off today and it had cracks all on the bottom. while i was at cummins i went ahead and bought the intake manifold gasket also.

• 7 months later...
  • Owner

Well I think I gotta put some priority to this project. I've got oil scattered all the way past the transmission now and the truck is losing 2 quarts of oil in 7k miles now. I just changed oil today and man the underside of the truck was a mess. Still not leaking bad enough to drip on the floor but everything is wet with oil.

So bringing this topic to the top and going to have to get this done very soon.

I am thinking about going after mine as well. I am for sure pulling the radiator to give it a good cleaning as I don't think its ever been done. Also going to pull the front gear case to see if I need to tab my dowel pin. My pump is starting to look just a little wet but I have not investigated closely enough to determine if its coming from the pump, or possibly the tappet cover. I have been eye balling the 12 valve tappet covers and may just do the whole shebang: radiator cleaning, kdp tab and front main seal, check/replace damper, vac pump rebuild, and 12 valve tappet cover.

• Like 1