• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trans and edge comp

Hey guys, got me an edge comp, again! 98whitelightnin had an edge comp left over after his p7100 swap and was patient enough to wait for me to get the funds to him to get it from him! Shout out to you, buddy! :hyper:I have a couple questions for the rest of you guys' though.1. The box is a gold color. I'm confused? The one I used to own was a black color. Does this mean anything?2. I got rid of my edge comp after I rebuilt my tranny. Trans shop owner told me to get rid of it as I will smoke my tranny if I use it again. Although after reading, I kicked myself for getting rid of it as it showed to benefit me.But now, after having the tranny rebuilt and pulling my toyhauler, I'm wondering if buying it could still be a bad idea. I do not want to ruin my tranny just to gain some power to pull the trailer better. Edge's manual says not to exceed level 2 when pulling, which I won't. But any other time, what is a good setting if at all?I read 5x5 as being best for MPG, but what do you guys think?

• Like 1

The tranny is built up now to what is in my sig.I've been reading a little and it sounds like I can keep the vp44 untapped and run it like that. Said its equivalent to running an edge ez.But, what I'm wondering is if whether or not my tranny as it sits now can handle the comp on full settings? I'm obviously not going to be racing the truck around or romping the throttle, etc. I mainly need the extra power for pullin the trailer. It is only occassionally I pull it as well. If I can reap any benefits from the comp on a daily basis like MPG numbers, etc. I would like to know how.It sounds mostly like I just need to use self control with the right foot... But hey, I don't know it all and I know there are others out there that can give me a solid answer.

Can't see your sig on the phone. All you need to run a comp with auto is a modified valve body for higher line pressure . Vb, extra clutches on rebuild , apply lever and HD band strut etc are all that's done for around 500hp and under. Beyond that its billet shafts.

Check if the HD or billet band strut were added, billet accumulator & servos, too. If so, go for it !!!! If not, you can find them pretty cheap & put them in yourself. Most likely they are already in there for a build like that. Do your regular fluid changes & band adjustments & ALWAYS keep an eye on transs temps when towing.Ed

WELL, I put the comp in! :hyper:Took me about an hour or so to put it in. Already had a few things ready for me as I once had one before...WOW! :burnout:I took the wife out to splurge real quick on 5x5. Hit the highway and did not even need to open her all the way up!Wife was shocked by the power and got stuck in her seat. Went from about 30mph to 65mph in NO TIME! :lmao:Yep, I dunno what I was thinking to get rid of mine the first time! Trans handled it really well. Left a good cloud of coal too!Once I got the smile wiped off my face, I took the box out of the truck to fight the temptation! :lol:Once I can get myself under control and figure out what I should run for a daily setting I'll put it back in. I need to pick some velcro up to mount it too so thats another factor.I'm curious as to see what the diff. it will make pulling the trailer...Just off of the power mods I got, I would be at 425hp on 5x5! Wheeeewe! I can get into trouble with this... I did not even look to see what my boost got up to either. Had to stay straight on the road. :woot:

Leave it on and wire your right foot to a stun gun and set it to nail you when you get to crazy.:lmao2:That is one thing that drew me to the banks, it was full power all the time, just use your foot for control. But for what it is worth my banks has died and now I need something more. So I am :think:.......

• Like 1

Leave it on and wire your right foot to a stun gun and set it to nail you when you get to crazy.:lmao2:That is one thing that drew me to the banks, it was full power all the time, just use your foot for control. But for what it is worth my banks has died and now I need something more. So I am :think:.......

Yeaa... good thought and all, but man its so tempting to romp on it. I'd probably be electrocuted somehow. Whats the banks and how does it work? You ought to look into the comp!

If your not slipping the convertor and not getting high tranny temps your fine :)

I still cannot grasp what a slipping convertor sounds/feels like.. As for temps, we shall see. I did not goose it very much at all. Maybe I will try doing it on an on-ramp or something someday to see what she has in her... My biggest concern is the catastrophic failur of something without notice and snapping a shaft or blowing a flexplate, etc...

Yeaa... good thought and all, but man its so tempting to romp on it. I'd probably be electrocuted somehow. Whats the banks and how does it work? You ought to look into the comp!

It is the programmer on my truck from Gale Banks engineering. Added about 75 rwhp and served me well until recently. It was not adjustable so you controled power with your right foot. the the comp is probably where I will go from here. Need to plug all my leaks before I go that route. So many things to do and so little time. Next job will be near home and I might be able to park the ole girl for a while and take care of many things. we will see.

I still cannot grasp what a slipping convertor sounds/feels like.. As for temps, we shall see. I did not goose it very much at all. Maybe I will try doing it on an on-ramp or something someday to see what she has in her...

My biggest concern is the catastrophic failur of something without notice and snapping a shaft or blowing a flexplate, etc...

As said a slipping TC is much like a slipping clutch. RPM increase with no speed increase,
  • Like 1

Glad you like it! Slipping converter will fill just like a slipping clutch, the rpm's will climb but your speed will not.

On a side note, did you get your money yet? ALSO, the CEL came on twice now and I took it to o'reilly's and put on a code reader. P0234 P0237 I thought the edge was supposed to keep it from happening?

• Owner

On a side note, did you get your money yet? ALSO, the CEL came on twice now and I took it to o'reilly's and put on a code reader. P0234 P0237 I thought the edge was supposed to keep it from happening?

Either loose connection or the Edge Comp's boost fooler is failing on you. Remove the Edge Comp and see if the problem goes away. If so then the Edge Comp failed on you.

No money yet. It should not be the edge, that thing has been in my truck for 5 years with no map codes or any codes for that matter. It does have a built in boost fooler, I hope its not crapping out on you!:mad: If it continues to throw the code, send it back to me and I will send your money back.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I looked it up yesterday and I'm gonna look at the connections again. I'm gonna try some di-electric grease as I guess some people found that to help.<BR><BR>My other concern is, the box it came in, was not padded in the packaging. The package was somewhat crushed. The box also had a slight rattle to the board. Like the board was a little loose inside the box. Not like something broke off inside or anything...<BR><BR>So I dunno if it got damaged in shipping or if the connection is bad.<BR><BR>I've got the next few days off so I'm gonna tinker with it a little and see if I can exhaust all options before considering other alternatives.

The board has always been loose inside but it never threw codes before. I guess I should have put it in a bigger box. Like I said, if it comes back the box is bad, send it back to me and I will send your money back. I feel bad you have been waiting on this thing for a while now and its not working for you.:banghead:

Well, I went out earlier and spooged some di-electric grease into the connections for the MAP sensor and comp harness.Got the codes cleared and let 'er rip! Watched the boost gauge and peaked at 31 psi. Did not throw any codes and I did it a few times on the way back home. So I think for now, the grease did the trick! :thumbup2:Fingers crossed and knockin' on wood!...now I've gotta get my starter fixed. :banghead:

• Like 1