• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3rd Gen Truck Advice

JOHNFAK

ok .... possibly looking to step up from my 2nd Gen to a 3rd gen. 04-07. Want to collect some info in case I do.1) Which years are best and why. Looking for a AUTO. Ideally 4WD but might have to settle for 2WD.2) Problems with years apart from sticking injectors.3) Anything to check for apart from normal ? How about pulling codes - just an OBDII scanner ?What mods done would indicate well looked after ...... eg normal LiftPump and guages ?? etcPlanning on checking for the following mainly.1) Codes and anything with transmission to indicate problem (fluid, clutch particulate) and any slipping under WOT.2) Blowby/Crank (where does it exit on these year trucks)3) Rust and Paint4) Joints, Tires, Brakes - normal wear or issues5) Check coolant and oil for any contamination. Check for any leaks.6) Rail Pressure - if I can {guages}.7) Steering ...... unsure how balanced and tight it should be compared to my semi-slop 2nd gen :)so on .....:thumbup2:

• Staff

03-04 has a better piston design than 04.5-7, but nothing to cry about. The 04.5-07 has a larger turbo and more OEM power (thou would you be keeping your twins?). In stock form the 03-04 will get better mileage than 04.5+. The only OEM certified auto's for an exhaust brake are 06+. There are aftermaket companies that make them work, but the thrust washer in the trans isn't designed for it. Check enigne hours vs miles for excessive idling. With the key on, motor off, and odo displayed press and hold the trip reset button until hours show up, approx 6 seconds. Blowby exits on the drivers side under the OEM fuel filter. The OEM LP is a good unit for 05+, the 03-04.5 are engine mounted and prone to fail. 03-04 can be a 235/460, 250/460, or 305/555 motor. 04.5-07 are all 325/610 (600 in 04.5). The early 03 auto's could be a 47RE or a 48RE, all 04+ are 48RE. Why an auto?

• Like 1

I assume you are still talking diesel? If so, then the gen 3 rigs have much less diesel clatter than the gen 1's and 2's. You can get the 'crew cab' version in the gen 3. In general the gen 3 interiors are a little upgraded from the earlier generations. Mileage is likely to be less due to engine design changes dealing with egr issues. Injectors are much more expensive to replace than the earlier generations. Look it over good if it has a 5ver or goose neck hitch to be sure it hasn't been abused.

• Like 1

Had I done it again I would have gone with an 06-07 just for the fact the tranny pcm in the 05 is goofy and can not be programmed to turn OD off, it only has tow haul mode, the newer ones had both tow haul and od off option. the 03-04 pcms could be programmed to turn od off at the dealer plus I like the head lights better in the 06+ along with the fact the mega cab came along in 06.I have often toyed with trading my 05 for an 07 5.9 megacab.:ahhh:

• Like 1

Thinking auto so my wife can drive when required and I do a lot if city driving and changing gears gets old. Though its been a while. What will the stock tranny's hold with a Modified VB only. Exhaust brake would be nice if I got back into towing an rv but no plans currently. Twins may come with me - depends on trade deal or sell outright. An 07 mega cab for $15k was what I was looking at .... 202k miles ..... But seen a couple nice 04-05 as well. Just concerned on I know about everything done to my truck .... Nothing to the new one .... Plus if I repaint mine and put a billet input I'm probably going to have a pretty awesome 2nd gen ~ 600hp .... Just a bit rough riding and outdated interior Decisions decisions

Just concerned on I know about everything done to my truck .... Nothing to the new one .... Plus if I repaint mine and put a billet input I'm probably going to have a pretty awesome 2nd gen ~ 600hp .... Just a bit rough riding and outdated interior Decisions decisions

You could keep the gen 2 and get a gen 3 as a stable mate. :lol:

You could keep the gen 2 and get a gen 3 as a stable mate. :lol:

Haha .... No the wife just got a new mazda mx5 not too long ago so really I'm looking to trade into something with only a few thousand switching hands ..... I need to go take one or two for a spin and work out how much better the ride quality is...., have ridden in an 05 before was very nice ..... Just hate to get into one and have to do anything major - tranny, engine issues, injectors etc