• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air Filter

• Staff

One word...STOCKThe stock filter will outperform anything you put in there under 450-500rwhp, and non-stock filters have the potential to trip a CEL. The revied 5.9 filter and 6.7 filter are nearly identical in flow/size, and I am pushing a little over 100rwhp over stock and moving a lot more air with a cam and better turbo and the stock filter minder doesn't budge and my UOA shows lower silicon than other filters I have tried (before the OEM 4" filter came out). It's just not worth a swap.

• Like 2

Ok thanks alot. I will stay stock. Its only got 2000 k on it anyways..haha Any advice on any aftermarket stuff that is warranty safe to start to freshen it up for mpg and stuff?

One word... STOCK The stock filter will outperform anything you put in there under 450-500rwhp, and non-stock filters have the potential to trip a CEL. The revied 5.9 filter and 6.7 filter are nearly identical in flow/size, and I am pushing a little over 100rwhp over stock and moving a lot more air with a cam and better turbo and the stock filter minder doesn't budge and my UOA shows lower silicon than other filters I have tried (before the OEM 4" filter came out). It's just not worth a swap.

• Staff

Ok thanks alot. I will stay stock. Its only got 2000 k on it anyways..haha Any advice on any aftermarket stuff that is warranty safe to start to freshen it up for mpg and stuff?

Stock and drive it.. Nothing will do what you want without mods to the EPA section of the truck.
  • Like 1

• Staff

It's really not worth it. Anything will void the warranty, and the tuners that add power with the DPF installed run the risk of damaging the DPF from additional fuel, and any economy increase from better timing/etc comes at additional regens since optimal economy isn't as EPA friendly.

• Like 1

Ok thanks again. I will hold tight till warranty is up. 5 yrs of 160k. My 10 year old 5.9 only has 180k on it still so I guess 5 years lol. After that I will look at deletes etc maybe. Seems like a 6.7 is a big powerful engine waiting to give more. haha

It's really not worth it. Anything will void the warranty, and the tuners that add power with the DPF installed run the risk of damaging the DPF from additional fuel, and any economy increase from better timing/etc comes at additional regens since optimal economy isn't as EPA friendly.

I agree with John, you want to stay with a good paper element!! I was having trouble with mine and my filter minder would always max out (Indicating plugged filter!) so I went with a very large element. It is so large to get it in there I had to move that battery over to the drivers side. If you want I could search for a pic of it to put up here.My theory on filters is: The larger in paper the better! Better air flow and also better filtering ability. I too have great OA numbers. All the research I did online showed that all the 'after market high flow' filters let much more dirt into the engine. All of them!!! Now a lot of people claim they have run some of them a lot of miles but the way I look at it is, the cleaner I can keep my engine then the longer it has to last!!

• 2 months later...

If your staying with the stock filter, from what I've been reading, Mopar is as good as most others, but your paying more for the Mopar name. They order their filters from filter companies who can give them constant product availability and cheap prices, then stick the Mopar name on it. The standard pleated paper filter or the over size paper filter from any decent company should work fine.

• Staff

Adding a larger filter to a stock 6.7 has the very real potential to set a CEL for the mass airflow sensor out of range, or something to that effect. The increased flow isn't appreciated by the computer.But on a stock truck why do you need an aftermarket filter when the OEM one is capable of more than 100hp over stock?

• Like 1

Frankly, the latest Generation of CTDs have benefited immensely from the experiences of all those who went before. The earliest were not intercooled, remember. This factory intake is now so good that there's really nothing to be gained by messing with it. That's a good thing. Just put a high quality paper element in there. I wonder if it'll throw a code if a K&N is put in there? Wouldn't that be funny?