• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

File Downloads

Alright guys I want to hear your opinions... Currently we have a rule that only those with 20 posts or more (standard members) can download files. We have had people abuse the rule so they could rack up their 20 posts and get what they want. The rule is in place so people can't just get the file and run because the theory is that we would have too many people downloading and it would kill the website server. It is a way to regulate basically, but also a way to let people pay us back in a sense for the info we dug up. Now, I have seen maybe 1 person a month who actually wants the file bad enough to become a member and to post asking for it, I don't really see that as a server overload.. I also do not think a person who is trying to fix their truck should have to go through hoops to get a file that is still essentially free but we require them to spend a lot of valuable time to get the file, time most people cannot afford. This site is supposed to help people, not make it a chore to learn how to fix their truck. My theory was to have it so that if they are a nonmember and want the file, they email us asking for it. If they want the file they are going to either spam 20 posts or they are going to ask for it and either way they still get it with little gain on the site side. They simply don't have the time to expend on it. But what else do you guys think about it all? Any other ideas or.... I'm always open for improvement.

• Owner

Currently we are no where near peak bandwidth about 40% typically. There is spikes where I see people cross the 20 post mark and it spikes for the day up over 6GB of bandwidth. But now open that door wide open you got to realize there is over 2GB of files here and if you get 50 people download everyone of them it has the ability of choking the server and consuming large amounts of bandwidth in a short order this is in a matter of hours not days or weeks but hours... :wow: I've been told by the hosting company if it gets excessive the site will be force offline. So at this point they cut the server loose and everyone loses. I'm currently on a shared server so when my bandwidth get to the point of pull against others on the same server we get pushed offline. Technically there is no limit of bandwidth but there is when it affects others site on the same server.Originally I had it wide open and people where downloading every manual. With just a couple of days there was over 700 GB downloaded... :rolleyes: So what to do? :shrug: So how do we keep people happy with downloading but keep people from leeching the site to death. :think:The only other option is to step up to dedicated server and that starts out at $200 a month. But now limited to 1 TB of bandwidth and 1 TB of drive. But this now pushes for more donations which I really try not to do.Give me some time I'll be free from the Rough Creek fire and be able to handle more of this...

does anyone have a dedicated Internet like cable or DSL with decent speeds? i have a 20/10 connection and host my own website and FTP server on my own. a server is EASY to setup, maybe it's something you could look into. it wouldn't be hard for you to just redirect the link to their server, no domain name deeded just IP. i'll look into my usages these days, maybe i can spare some, i have server that never sleeps. and it's Linux!!!

I wonder if dropbox would work. You just link to a folder with all those files, it downloads from their server. It's all free and you get 2.5GB free space. I'll mess with it tomorrow and see what happens. https://www.dropbox.com/help/45/en 20GB transfer a day for free users is just about perfect. They get what they pay for and members on here can access the files on the site just as usual. I think it might work.

Hmmm... what is your up time like with your server?

it's about 98% some power failures last long enough for my batteries to drain and shut down the server. i could host a FTP or HTTP file server if your interested just let me know.

it's

vsftpd

or apache.

agree dropbox might be great, if not let me know.

I downloaded all the service manuals just now since I figure it's a dead time, they all downloaded fast and got them all done and the site is fine so the worst is over :hyper: The rest are little 1MB or less files. I have them all uploading to a dropbox account so the files will keep adding as they upload. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jzn2j9hq9wfgnoc/zwyZFxzXlq

• Like 1

I wonder if dropbox would work. You just link to a folder with all those files, it downloads from their server. It's all free and you get 2.5GB free space. I'll mess with it tomorrow and see what happens. https://www.dropbox.com/help/45/en 20GB transfer a day for free users is just about perfect. They get what they pay for and members on here can access the files on the site just as usual. I think it might work.

That was going to be suggestion as well. I would link the files to dropbox or some other type of share site. The only problems with all of the other share sites (except dropbox) is they seem to be covered with wild advertisements and hard to find download links ..

I hope the dropbox works. Personally, I think that the rules should be pretty rigid for downloads from Mike's server. The rules might need modified, and its good that Mike and ISX can change someones status from "limited." In my mind, the site and its resources aren't for every Cummins owner. The site, the community, the resources, articles, and downloads are for the "family." If someone wants to join the site, great! If not? Too bad. People that show up to the party and then tell your wife that the food sucks don't tend to make good additions to the party.

Heck, I say up the post count to 100! If someone is here lingering that long enough they are probably here to stay.If they need some info that they can't gain acces to by their 100 post limit, they should be able to PM someone and get it.Maybe make a note during registration that they have to reach a 100 post count before they have full access to files, and if they need a file before then they can PM someone for it. Make it a conditional request such as 1 file allowed before 100 posts. So choose wisely!Meh, thats my input and I'm sticking to it!

• Like 1

My only issue with it is that not everyone is a mechanic so they can't exactly "give back to the site" with useful information. They may just want to see a procedure for a job that they can't afford to pay a mechanic. They fix it, then they go on with their lives. I kinda think the 20 post thing is like having a mechanic fix it but forcing you to remain friends with him and hang out all the time or something. I believe people just want an answer and then they are done. It is great to have resources that are instant answers such as all the downloads and if they want to tackle it, more power to them. I will give them the resources and they can go at it. It's not like people can't use the forum as resources as well without even being a member. I do understand that they are our resources but ehhh, they are just files we dug up, same as they could do if they searched on google long enough. If we can make it easier on them to get the file then I would say that satisfys the true purpose of this site. However, the server thing does cause issues, so it's a "within reason" standpoint on how much access they should have. The wiring diagrams are the only color ones I have seen and they also have his watermark so if Mike actually did put time and effort into those to make them more than just something we all could google and dig up without this website altogether, then I could understand some restrictions with those files.

One of the manuals is what got me on the site. I asks and the 20 post count was waived. I think the current system is quite reasonable - it puts a throttle on those who want to leach.If its an admin issue with many spamming to hit 20 or many requests to waive the post requirement than it deserves attention. From a user and a community aspect I think it's "just right" right now. :2cents:Tapatalking in traffic

The 20 post deal is fair. I have not seen that many people go crazy on it though i did see some one the other day and called him on it. I have to agree that some folks need some info quickly and have on many occasions seen both MM and ISX oblige them and upgrade them so they could get the info they needed. I also understand coming to a place like this dumb as rock and needing help with not much to offer. I did reach the 20 post mark very quickly by asking questions and I had alot to ask. The 20 post mark is not much to ask to get to the info in my opinion, especially when it is there for the asking and given pretty freely. I guess that means tome there is nothing really wrong with the way it is set up now. I came here with problems and got those solved and was able to pass those solutions to others and pay it forward. You guys that run the show along with all the members is what makes this forum the best source for info I have ever found. As long as that stays the same way I am with you for the long run. At least 500k anyway.:moon:

This site is great, and well moderated by the mods, owner, and the rest of the 'family.'Dripley said it well. Ask questions. The site is very welcoming to newcomers, and most of us will trip over each other to help somebody new. We may not even have the answers, but we will certainly try! :) People act like not having the FSM is a crime and you are withholding something they are ENTITLED TO by having them wait for 20 posts. Then again, with my truck broke and having to depend on the Haynes manual, it can be stressful and I sometimes forget my manners. However, I would like to think that the 20 posts keeps the airhead kids out. :lmao: (says I, at 27 years old.) Having standards keeps the riff raff out. Come to think of it... (tips cowboy hat and picks up guitar.)Next thing you know, we'd be overrun with some of them long-haired hippie-type pinko f*gs, who i'll bet you even got commie flags tacked up on the wall inside the garage... they're snakes in the grass i tell ya guys! they may look dumb, but thats just a disguise, they're masterminds in the ways of espionage! :thumbup2:

• Owner

I would like to say thank you to all that have voice a opinion on this topic. It's wonderful to see the family and staff come together and discuss the functions of the site and come up with a fair system of handling of these issues. So once again thank you goes out to all family members and staff for responding to this issue. Give me one more day. I'll be back from the fire job and be able to address this more fully about the download issue and see if we can handle this better. Please hang in there gang and I'll throw some other options out. :wink:Carry on... :thumbup2:

One of the manuals is what got me on the site. I asks and the 20 post count was waived. I think the current system is quite reasonable - it puts a throttle on those who want to leach. If its an admin issue with many spamming to hit 20 or many requests to waive the post requirement than it deserves attention. From a user and a community aspect I think it's "just right" right now. :2cents: Tapatalking in traffic

I agree with this, even though I am a new member. I do appreciate this site!!!
  • Like 1

• Owner

Here is a PM sent back to me...

Thank you for the prompt response. Clearly this is not what I was looking for. I'm looking for a schematic so I can fix my truck, not a club membership, a social networking opportunity or yet another cause to which to contribute cash. So just go ahead and delete my account and I won't waste any more of your bandwidth.