• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Where to jack up rear of truck?

My owners manual states that you should not jack up the vehicle by the rear axle. Any suggestions? I need to adjust my parking brake. Seems like when I get my tires rotated that they jack by the differential casting. Jack stands under spring perches?

• Owner

Empty truck is no problem lifting from the diff housing. The dry rear axle weight of my truck is 2,860# so its a long ways from the 6,084# gross limits. The front axle is 4,440# dry weight so its not suggest to single jack the front in the center because all the weight. But now if the truck was loaded with cargo I would not lift from the diff at all but as close to the springs as possible.

• Staff

I lift mine on the axle tubes as close to the springs as possible. Do you guys still use the factory jack? I'm thinking it's not too great of a jack and should get a small hydro jack, but, wouldn't that leak under the back seat?:nono:

The OEM one isn't tall enough. It technically is for me (2wd) but it wasn't when I my tire blew and I was in the ditch. I don't trust idiots on the road and I pulled off the shoulder and into the ditch and jacked it up. I was on an exit ramp so probably overkill but eh. Anyways I ended up digging up some dirt to get the tire off the hub. All I would do different is bring like a 4 x 4 x however long block of wood with me and it would work fine. It takes forever since you manually screw it but it does do the trick. A 4wd truck if they use the same jack then I could see being a problem.

A 4wd truck if they use the same jack then I could see being a problem.

Um, Isn't the jack put under the axle? Aren't the tire heights about the same no matter what truck it is on?:tongue::tease:

Um, Isn't the jack put under the axle? Aren't the tire heights about the same no matter what truck it is on?:tongue::tease:

Every inch counts, even if it's just an inch taller that could mean an inch too short of jack. I was trying to think of why I didn't have it under the axle and I forgot it was the front that blew out. I couldn't get it under the A arm or whatever that is because the flat caused to drop to the ground so much. Meaning I had no choice but to jack it somewhere that required the full flex of the suspension before the tire would come off the ground. Thats where the jack came up short. Even a block that was long that I could set the truck on then add a block under the jack to jack it up some more would be a good idea. Or just don't let the tires wear to the point of blowout.

This has gotten more attention than I figured it would. Thanks for the info. I figure that I always have a chain saw in my truck. So I can cut a round of wood for the OEM bottle jack. Jacking by the receiver hitch sounds like a good idea. Although if your intention is to lift the tires off the ground, axle will require a lot less effort. So you're saying its not a good idea to lift from the pumpkin (I assume we're talking about the ring gear area)? Jacking by the shock perches is considered OK? Jack stands under the leaf spring perches is OK?My first attempt to adjust the parking brake fell short when my floor jack was not heavy duty enough. I'm also working on gravel. Not the best medium for vehicle maintenance. But it's what I've got. Need to buy a more suitable jack.

i always avoid the shock perches...i like to put the jack under the leafs and a stand on the other side and remove the jack. i have used the pumpkin but no where close to the cover pan. when i changed the fluid out of the diff, i noticed that it is VERY thick and its never caused me a problem, but if part of the jack landed on the cover it would probably be damaged or warped afterwards. :2cents:

• Like 1

i always avoid the shock perches...i like to put the jack under the leafs and a stand on the other side and remove the jack. i have used the pumpkin but no where close to the cover pan. when i changed the fluid out of the diff, i noticed that it is VERY thick and its never caused me a problem, but if part of the jack landed on the cover it would probably be damaged or warped afterwards. :2cents:

With the jack on the perches, where are the stands going?

I'm guessing you have disc brakes on the rear, if you mentioned it i missed it but from the year you should. You might want to pull the tires and rotors and check the parking brake shoes before you adjust them. When I replaced my rest wheel bearings I found my parking brake shoes in pieces sliding around in the drum.Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yes, disc brakes all around. The parking brake works a little, just that the pedal bottoms out before I can get enough holding power. I'll check it out. I got a new Harbor Freight electric impact wrench and deep well sockets. I'll pull off the drum and see how they look. Thanks.