• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

RPM to speed ver gear.

I'm wondering what speed people are going at what RPM. today i hauled a 35' 5er weighing in around 15000lb. and i was paying real close attention to my speed vs rpm.i didn't use OD while towing.2nd gear was 40 mph at 2700 rpm.3 locked was 55 at 2000. in od i turn about 1700 ish and go 67ish. i'm starting to think i don't have the 3.55 gear the sticker on the glove box says i do.thought and imput would be great.

My tires are stock. 265/75/16. Checking the speedo with a garmin rhino 530 it's spot on. Although the fuel mpg thing in the overhead council LIES!!! Us there a way to fix this? It says I get 25-27 mpg on a regular basis.

Yes! I want one, but money hasn't grown on trees got me in a few years, first on my list is gauges, then edge comp, then tranny, well maybe not in that order, but I will get one someday. Wife told me to look for newer truck maybe this one will be sold.

Yes! I want one, but money hasn't grown on trees got me in a few years, first on my list is gauges, then edge comp, then tranny, well maybe not in that order, but I will get one someday. Wife told me to look for newer truck maybe this one will be sold.

I would change this order to: Gauges tranny Edge Comp :) the 47RE's suck balls, stock.
  • Like 1

It sounds to me like your spot on. 55 Mph locked in third at around 2000 to 2100 rpm. 4Th gear at 70 mph is 1800 to 1900rpm. My speedo is also corrected and checked with a gps. When towing heavy I generally lock out OD unless I am on the freeway. I will run third gear up to 2300 rpm steady, maybe a tad higher if needed.

I calculated a few times and you can basically say that any truck that does 70 at 2100RPM+ is 4.10. If your tires are huge then it is possible to be under 2100 with 4.10's but for sane tire sizes this works.

Mainly because the highest O/D (0.75) with the smallest tires OEM (245/75) with 3.55 is 2050RPM at 70. 4.10 would obviously rev much higher. If you go the other route to see if this rule of thumb holds up wtih an auto (0.69) with 4x4 tires (265/75) and 4.10's you get 2100 so the rule of thumb works, barely.

Posted Image