• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

tires tires tires, what tires do we like?I used to be a die hard BF Goodrich fan, i share the name sake. my last name is Goodrich,but the last set of tires i purchased for my Toyota were Cooper AT3, LOVE them. they are a great tire. i would like to get a USA made tire. BFG's are not anymore. Toyos are, i get a great deal on those from running them in the Baja 500. So. maybe what i'm asking is what's ya'll's thoughts.i would create a pole if i could.BFG AT,Cooper Toyo, Yoko,Goodyear. i want all terrain tires no mudders i would like to see 50K out of them. i've had BFG's go 63K befor needing replaced.i need a tire with good snow and off road maners as well as nice highway ride.. yes i ask alot from my tires. size too. i have no lift or leaveling kit, want on though. what fits stock? i'm thinking 285/75/16, but might stick with the 265'splease chim in with brand and model of tire please.Oh and Thank you.

• Owner

Well... I'm not a name brand person at all. With all my offroad usage I'm typically around 30K miles a set of tires. I've tried Big O Tires, Cooper, Voma, HiFly, etc.

Cooper STT's - I like them for a good offroad and snow traction good tire but way too heavy also there is roughly a 2 MPG loss from running them. Toyo is going to be roughly the same because they are both so close to the same design.

Big O Tires - where really good years ago till they change the rubber compound and the tread pattern then they went down hill.

Voma - was a trailer ST tire that was a Load Range G tire very good design very stout tire held up to just about everything I could toss at it but the tread pattern was only street tire so snow and mud traction was poor. But a very light weight tire very good MPG numbers!

Hifly - that I've got on now I really like they are a nice AT tire with street manners. Still a very light weight tire and has little to no effect on MPG's but haven't had a shot at snow yet. Winter is coming. But so far for all the firewood hauling and trailer towing they done awesome even with the exhaust brake on steep dirt grades.

• Like 2

I am running Cooper ATP's in 265 75r, 16 LR E. That is what come on it as an option as I remember. Stock on mine would have been 245's per the sticker in the door frame. I think I will get 50 maybe 55 out of them. We will see. The do ride good on the highway and work good around the job site. I have not driven them in the snow and I dont off road enough to talk about.

Well... I'm not a name brand person at all. With all my offroad usage I'm typically around 30K miles a set of tires. I've tried Big O Tires, Cooper, Voma, HiFly, etc.

Voma - was a trailer ST tire that was a Load Range G tire very good design very stout tire held up to just about everything I could toss at it but the tread pattern was only street tire so snow and mud traction was poor. But a very light weight tire very good MPG numbers!

Hifly - that I've got on now I really like they are a nice AT tire with street manners. Still a very light weight tire and has little to no effect on MPG's but haven't had a shot at snow yet. Winter is coming. But so far for all the firewood hauling and trailer towing they done awesome even with the exhaust brake on steep dirt grades.

never heard of VOMA or Hifly tires, i'll have to look around here.

there is a guy selling tires on CL named Goodride, and there are others from Canada,

Thanks for the input thus far.

The 265's came as an option and I believe it was listed that way on the price sticker. I seem to remember choosing it because my 96 had 245's and they always looked small on the truck. It might have been part of the camper package. I will have to dig out my sticker and see what it says.

The Duratracs are a great tire but probably too aggressive for the OP. Best all season tire I've ever ran on the Cummins is Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade. The steel belts are wrapped in Kevlar. 50k mile warranty and they meet the severe snow service requirements. Only tire I've ever gotten more than 60k out of on my Dodge. (ON my former 00) The down side is they are pricey, but you get what you pay for. Right now I'm running the factory BFG's that came on the 2012 4th gen wheels I picked up over the winter. The truck they came off of had less than 20k.Ivesince put close to 12k on them and there is no way I'm running these things through the winter. It's incredible how fast they've worn. I plan on replacing them with a set of Silent Armors.

I've still got the OEM (yes, 12 year old) Michelin on mine. They say 'AT' but look more like highway, not aggressive at all. Yes the sticker charged for the upgrade larger tires. They run nice on the highway with the quad cab, long bed... I'm thinking of getting steel wheels & winter tires, something taller & narrower so I'm not pushing so much snow in front of the tires... go back to the Michelins for summer if there's enough rubber on them. I think they'll still be legal. Years ago, I pulled the Cooper ATs off my Ranger (2.2 natural, such a dog it woofed) when the tranny bit the dust... put them on the wife's Caravan (same size) where they wore like iron. I think well of the Coopers but don't know if the new are up to the old.

tires tires tires, what tires do we like?

I used to be a die hard BF Goodrich fan, i share the name sake. my last name is Goodrich,

but the last set of tires i purchased for my Toyota were Cooper AT3, LOVE them. they are a great tire.

i would like to get a USA made tire. BFG's are not anymore. Toyos are, i get a great deal on those from running them in the Baja 500.

So. maybe what i'm asking is what's ya'll's thoughts.

i would create a pole if i could.

BFG AT,

Cooper

Toyo,

Yoko,

Goodyear.

i want all terrain tires no mudders i would like to see 50K out of them. i've had BFG's go 63K befor needing replaced.

i need a tire with good snow and off road maners as well as nice highway ride.. yes i ask alot from my tires.

size too. i have no lift or leaveling kit, want on though. what fits stock? i'm thinking 285/75/16, but might stick with the 265's

please chim in with brand and model of tire please.

Oh and Thank you.

Cooper AT3s! Had 265s on my Hemi and put 15,000+ miles and still looked brand new. Currently have 285s with 8,000+ miles on the Cummins with great wear and traction (hope to see 50,000+ miles)...285s (33") look good on a stock truck but if you want that mean look go wider 305s (33") or bigger 315s(35")...as long as you don't care about mpgs

I thank you all for the information. i SO wanted the cooper AT3's or the discount tire only version ATP, but not a single store in this town had them in the size i wanted 285/75/16, so i wandering around the tires shop and over heard a guy talking about changing in his 4 hour old BFG AT's in 285 for something in a 305, i perk up. maybe i can get them at a deal, Well a deal i did. new they would have been 1072, i got them mounted balanced on my new rims ( new to me Wife bought them last night for 100$ on CL) OTD for $800.00, i'll take em.!!!! So we shal see how they do. i used to love BFG's Again thank you all for the information!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a good suggestion for a gravel road tire? Our gravel roads just chew them up. I'm lucky to get 15K miles on a set of tires before I get rock breaks that cannot be repaired.

well, if you are like me, and see mostly dirt/gravel/sand roads... I sure like treadwright.com tires. I figure as many hazards I come across these days, and as far from any 'name brand' dealers.... these tires fits me to a 't'. I can destroy one in a month if unlucky, or if I'm lucky, might get 40-45k out of em. I never know what's waiting for me in ambush.. These are recapped tires, with several choices of tread patterns. I've had BFG and Michelin carcasses. Last set I got 235 70 16 cost me 100 each, delivered. They claim they use the same rubber compound as big rig tires...
  • Like 1

I thank you all for the information. i SO wanted the cooper AT3's or the discount tire only version ATP, but not a single store in this town had them in the size i wanted 285/75/16, so i wandering around the tires shop and over heard a guy talking about changing in his 4 hour old BFG AT's in 285 for something in a 305, i perk up. maybe i can get them at a deal, Well a deal i did. new they would have been 1072, i got them mounted balanced on my new rims ( new to me Wife bought them last night for 100$ on CL) OTD for $800.00, i'll take em.!!!! So we shal see how they do. i used to love BFG's Again thank you all for the information!!!

I know you found a set already, but thought I would add my :2cents:. The tires I have in my signature have around 49,000 mils on them and counting. They are not the greatest in the mud but do ok, other than that they have been one of the best tires I have ever owned. I have rotated them once, yes I know I am slacking, but they have been through sled pulling, dragging trees in the woods, hauling and towing heavy on pavement and gravel, and have even ran over a few downed trees after some storms came through. They aren't the cheapest and can get a little squirrely in the rain, I think the width of mine have something to do with that, but overall a good tire.

Thank you for this suggestion. I'll check their website out. Do you mount them yourself or take them to someone?

I do most all my own tire work. I don't balance them either. Over the years, I've acquired a 'bead buster', and several various tire irons. Best way I've broken-down a tire is to use a handy-man jack against the sidewall of the tire and push the bead away from the rim to un seat it, Tire flat on ground, under the hitch of the truck... After that, a little lube and the tire comes right off. Even without balancing, I've never had a 'bouncer'.