• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Upgrade my turbo?

Let me say it again...........3:54 to 4:10 gears and if you are dead set on a turbo go super B.Fix your issue don't mask over it with mods you do not need.Your auto is already set up nicely, no need for a manual swap. That lever behind the steering wheel is capable of the same push button to kill OD, or manually pull it down into 2 or 1 easy peasy.:smart:

Let me say it again...........3:54 to 4:10 gears and if you are dead set on a turbo go super B. Fix your issue don't mask over it with mods you do not need.

I assume this comment is directed at me. Im not here to cram my logic down other peoples throats, i was merely suggesting a perfectly viable option. Only hex can decide whats best for his application. The suber b would also be a pretty good choice, but as long as one stays within the fueling capabilities of the vgt its going to be tough to beat the efficiency. There is a reason why they re found on nearly all oem applications now a days. The gears would also help but unless you could find a set of axles for next to nothing it would be a huge expense for towing a trailer a handful of times a year.

I assume this comment is directed at me. Im not here to cram my logic down other peoples throats, i was merely suggesting a perfectly viable option. Only hex can decide whats best for his application. The suber b would also be a pretty good choice, but as long as one stays within the fueling capabilities of the vgt its going to be tough to beat the efficiency. There is a reason why they re found on nearly all oem applications now a days. The gears would also help but unless you could find a set of axles for next to nothing it would be a huge expense for towing a trailer a handful of times a year.

Nope not at you, just a comment in general. No more expensive than a turbo swap "actually about 1/2 the price or less if done by ones self" and under normal driving conditions wouldn't affect mileage much at all. Not to mention no tuning required and a lot more simple. There are many sources of used ring/pinions and diff carrier housings, no need to look for complete axles.:wink: I find it amazing at how many people are willing to tear into a $5-6K+ engine with no hesitation where the chance for failure is higher than drivetrain, yet live under the false thought process that it takes a ton of money and an engineering degree to even look at stupid simple geat sets..:think:

I dont see very many people willing to part with a r & p gear set without selling the entire axle assembly but that would be more cost effextive if you could get lucky enough to come across a set. No tuning required with a vgt, all plug and play, with an exhaust brake to boot, all for under a grand, and thats assuming you have to buy a new stand alone controller. :think:Its all a matter of preference, either turbo option would be a good one.

"HE351vgt swap into a 2nd gen", or something similar to that. There is some good write ups on the swaps, if I have some time later I'll dig some up. 6.7 manifold bolts right up, you would need a 6.7 style down pipe as well because the turbo sits lower and closer to the block with the 6.7 manifold. There are a few things you will have to add, like coolant lines, extend the oil lines, and you may have to fab an elbow to mate to the intercooler because I havent seen one out there yet that you can purchase to bolt on. It will require a little work but if your patient and wait for the deals to come around I think it would be a very efficient turbo. You gotta remember that a stock 6.7 engine has about 100 more ponies right out of the gate than our 2nd gens. I've seen some modded 6.7s making some serious power while still utilizing the oem turbo, but they can only handle so much fuel and then your forced to step up again. I'm pretty sure you can get 40-42 psi out of them, a nice little step up from the 30-32 (35 if your really pushing it) out of the HX, plus the variable turbn gives you that bottom end boost right off the bottom.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'd like to look into this more!

Let me say it again...........3:54 to 4:10 gears and if you are dead set on a turbo go super B. Fix your issue don't mask over it with mods you do not need. Your auto is already set up nicely, no need for a manual swap. That lever behind the steering wheel is capable of the same push button to kill OD, or manually pull it down into 2 or 1 easy peasy.:smart:

I will not use the turbo as a band aid. I've been looking at the 4.10 gearing option. Found this: http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-5899-motive-gear-dana-60-ring-and-pinion-sets.aspx I need to look around more for better pricing options, though. Its pretty crazy to see 5.xx gearing. Would that be something to consider? Or is that too steep of gearing? I have always wondered if I could use the 1 and 2 gear to slow down more with the trailer hooked up. I dunno how they are supposed to be used technically.

Nope not at you, just a comment in general. No more expensive than a turbo swap "actually about 1/2 the price or less if done by ones self" and under normal driving conditions wouldn't affect mileage much at all. Not to mention no tuning required and a lot more simple. There are many sources of used ring/pinions and diff carrier housings, no need to look for complete axles.:wink: I find it amazing at how many people are willing to tear into a $5-6K+ engine with no hesitation where the chance for failure is higher than drivetrain, yet live under the false thought process that it takes a ton of money and an engineering degree to even look at stupid simple geat sets..:think:

I did find a dana 60 at a wrecker back near home for $178. Its used though. But its 4.10 gear. They don't have any 70's though.

I dont see very many people willing to part with a r & p gear set without selling the entire axle assembly but that would be more cost effextive if you could get lucky enough to come across a set. No tuning required with a vgt, all plug and play, with an exhaust brake to boot, all for under a grand, and thats assuming you have to buy a new stand alone controller. :think: Its all a matter of preference, either turbo option would be a good one.

I would like to consider the VGT setup since I'm still trying to get an exhaust brake. And convincing the wife to get a brake and turbo seperately would be harder than telling her about this!

I agree with the gears, although I think 4.10s are excessive unless you never unhook a trailer. I'm planning on swapping my gears when i get the time and extra money but am going with a 3.73 ratio. I don't tow very often but when i do it is something heavy and from my experience with other trucks the 3.73 ratio is about the best all around gear to have. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Remember folks, he has larger than stock tires as well so if he wants to keep a larger tire on going to 4:10 would keep him closer to 3:73 without figuring it out through a ratio calculator. This is a big reason for me recommending the 4:10 gears.I have bought and sold several used sets of gears for the 2nd gens over the years fairly cheap, I just sold all my spare second gen stuff when I sold my 02 last year. If you hit up other forums they are quite abundant.The front Dana 60 is just a ring and pinion swap but on the rear D70 If I remember correctly to jump to 4:10 you need to swap the whole carrier assembly but the aftermarket gear companies have designed gear sets to avoid this if I remember right, been a while since I have checked into it.

Remember folks, he has larger than stock tires as well so if he wants to keep a larger tire on going to 4:10 would keep him closer to 3:73 without figuring it out through a ratio calculator. This is a big reason for me recommending the 4:10 gears. I have bought and sold several used sets of gears for the 2nd gens over the years fairly cheap, I just sold all my spare second gen stuff when I sold my 02 last year. If you hit up other forums they are quite abundant. The front Dana 60 is just a ring and pinion swap but on the rear D70 If I remember correctly to jump to 4:10 you need to swap the whole carrier assembly but the aftermarket gear companies have designed gear sets to avoid this if I remember right, been a while since I have checked into it.

I also have larger than stock tires and still think 4.10s are a little to low of a ratio IMHO. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Found this locally (kind of, 2 hours away). 300 Bucks for an HE351vgt and manifold with 65k miles. Thursday is the earliest I can make a 4 hour trip and if it's still there I'm going to ****** it up.

...and sell it to me? :ashamed::thumbup2: