• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

sometimes Craigslist really pays off....

JAG1

• Staff

About two weeks ago I crossed the wrong wire and sent a full 13 and 1/2 volts positive thru the whole grounding system on my truck. Thanks to Michael Nelson's phone conversations he helped me with getting some problems cleared up. After disconnecting the batteries for awhile the temp gauge started working again and the trans started shifting again. Next with a code reader I had the trouble codes cleared.Mike still reminded me that I may have burned one of the diodes in the ALT. :doh: This was a bad deal since I had put in a new alternater only about 25 miles ago.:spend:.Well I got the bright idea to check Craigslist for a Fluke multimeter since they are so expensive, but work correctly, not like the lessor expensive ones. Well, I got double luckey. The meter was 40 bucks for a model 77 and works very well and the new alternator was still good as new with very low AC voltage noise. Hurray!:hyper:Nothin' like having a good volt meter just before going on a long trip.

• Staff

I probably spent that that much on a Klein auto-range DMM from home depot... :shrug:

I did that years ago... bought a lesser expensive one, but, it won't properly detect AC noise from an alternator. When switching to AC mode it always incorrectly show 30 vac as if the alt was bad. I don't know if you know about excess AC noise, but, can burn up the pcm or the ecm and cause confused transmission shifting. A fluke is the very best dvm. I noticed a major difference immediatly just watching the voltage regulator do it's adjustments. My old one could not do that. No offense.... I skip Home Depot every chance I can get and I'm a contractor.

I did that years ago... bought a lesser expensive one, but, it won't properly detect AC noise from an alternator. When switching to AC mode it always incorrectly show 30 vac as if the alt was bad. I don't know if you know about excess AC noise, but, can burn up the pcm or the ecm and cause confused transmission shifting. A fluke is the very best dvm. I noticed a major difference immediatly just watching the voltage regulator do it's adjustments. My old one could not do that. No offense.... I skip Home Depot every chance I can get and I'm a contractor.

Meh, mine shows AC and I can measure the voltage. I second you on the home depot thing. I don't prefer them out of personal reasons, but when you live in a small town and thats all thats open or have one, you don't have much of a choice when you NEED it. I keep hoping a Lowes will come about..

• Staff

Meh, mine shows AC and I can measure the voltage. I second you on the home depot thing. I don't prefer them out of personal reasons, but when you live in a small town and thats all thats open or have one, you don't have much of a choice when you NEED it. I keep hoping a Lowes will come about..

That's pretty good if actually shows the AC fluctuations. I said the above cause a friend of mine brought over another brand of dvm and it showed a steady 30 vac also. Lowes is better for sure. I mostly do business with locally owned building supply shops. They have guys that will search products and prices for me from various distributors. They have been very much of an asset to me for this reason. They have been able to beat HD's prices on many big ticket items making me look good to my customers after they've shopped the HD prices. I like keeping the money local that way too Now to find a FLUKE model 77 owners instruction manual.... Anyone know where I can download one? .

• Staff

You can download the manual here: FLUKE MANUAL

Thanks MnTom. I did do a google search but was unsuccessful. Just read the manual, what I could understand. It is very technical, showing how sensitive this dvm is, but it's okay. I know enough for most of my needs anyhow.