• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

DRW removal, can't get the inner dual wheel off. Stuck!

2002 3500 dually 6 speed 200k. Bought this truck late spring, finally getting around to fixing things. Needs new rear rotors. Went to take the rear wheels off, passenger side came off fine. However the Drivers side inner wheel is stuck solid! Looking like some rust in there where the wheel mates against the hub. Dammit! :mad::banghead: I tried everything, doused it with WD40, beat the tire (not the rim) with a hammer, won't budge. Kicked things up a notch and took the truck off jack stands & put the weight of the truck on the wheel & drove it back & forth in my concrete driveway. Nothing! Chirpped and spun the tires on the driveway. Still won't budge! (At least I know my dana 80 clutches are working as both sides were spinning!) As a last resort I yelled at my neighbor and told him his wife is fat, to which he agreed and laughed. Still didnt help my wheel! It's stuck solid. Thinking I'll get a huge sledge hammer & see how that goes. That's all I can think of. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!Thanks

• Like 1

2002 3500 dually 6 speed 200k.

Bought this truck late spring, finally getting around to fixing things. Needs new rear rotors. Went to take the rear wheels off, passenger side came off fine. However the Drivers side inner wheel is stuck solid! Looking like some rust in there where the wheel mates against the hub. Dammit! :mad::banghead: I tried everything, doused it with WD40, beat the tire (not the rim) with a hammer, won't budge. Kicked things up a notch and took the truck off jack stands & put the weight of the truck on the wheel & drove it back & forth in my concrete driveway. Nothing! Chirpped and spun the tires on the driveway. Still won't budge! (At least I know my dana 80 clutches are working as both sides were spinning!) As a last resort I yelled at my neighbor and told him his wife is fat, to which he agreed and laughed. Still didnt help my wheel! It's stuck solid.

Thinking I'll get a huge sledge hammer & see how that goes. That's all I can think of. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Use a two by four and find an appropriate prying spot

- - - Updated - - -

Use a two by four and find an appropriate prying spot

or really long two by four and a dead blow hammer from the opposite side of truck

I just wrap on the tire or inside of the rim with a 2lb dead blow turn wheel 180 and keep this up until it lets loose.I actually have had to get after it with a 10 lb dead blow a few times.Actually you can use a big flat faced hammer and wrap on the flat surface where it mates to the hub to break the rust loose first.

At work when we get a truck with a wheel stuck to the hub we douse it in BG in-force and then wail on the inside of the tire with a sledge and turn the wheel every hit or two till it comes loose. They can be a real pain sometimes, on one milk truck it took us about an hour just to get the inside dual off the hub giving it everything we had.

I used to wail on 'em ,but the blue wrench is easier on the rims and body..No need to get carried away, use big tip, keep the flame pretty "loose":thumbup2: and don't stop in one spot,keep it moving in a circle around the rim, usually it will just fall off..

I've had the stuck inner dual problem on our F550 work trucks. I've loosened the lugnuts and went for a slow drive and swerved left and right hard. Never got over 15mph and the lugnuts were just barely loose. It will usually pop in less than 100 feet. Then I grease the crap out of them on the flat flanges before putting them back on. There is no room to swing a hammer properly and it damages the outer lip on the rim. Good luck