• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replaced Pinion seal, still leaks! How easy to Speedy Sleeve Pinion?

Have you checked to make sure the axle vent isn't clogged? A clogged axle vent is the #1 reason that the pinon seal leaks

No I haven't, how can it be checked? I did have the vent hose clip crack and the hose was dragging the ground. Just tie wrapped it up into the frame, but that was a year or more ago long before this happened.

No I haven't, how can it be checked? I did have the vent hose clip crack and the hose was dragging the ground. Just tie wrapped it up into the frame, but that was a year or more ago long before this happened.

Just take the vent hose off at the axle and make sure you can blow through the hose and then stick a wire or anything small enough down through the hole in the axle tube to make sure its not blocked. If it was plugged you can then wipe off the leaked oil around the pinion and see if it dries up. On my old truck I had got a new pinion seal to put on it but then checked the axle vent and found it was clogged, so I unclogged it and the pinion leak went away and was still dry the day I sold it a couple years later.

Also I have seen quite a few times where the spring inside the lip seal pops off while installing the yoke, this also causes a leak a short time after install, I always put a bit more grease on the inside of the lip seal to hold the spring in better. If you have a bad groove where the lip of the seal rides on the yoke a speedy sleeve would be in order but if it doesn't have a groove I wouldn't worry about it.