• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

30,000 miles later I changed my fuel filters

• Owner

I figured now would be a good time to change the fuel filters being its double the typical mileage. Stock is suppose to change out at 15,000 miles or every other oil change. Here is what the stock filter and the Donaldson P551315 looks like after 30,000 miles of fuel pumped through them.post-2-138698207719_thumb.jpgI must be getting clean fuel because I was totally expecting after 30,000 miles I would be look at a AirDog filter that was black and the stock filter about the color I see now. But I was shocked to see both rather light colored. Now I know to just use my fuel pressure gauge and look for the fuel pressure drop. Because both of these could of gone farther yet and still in good condition.

• Owner

Question is, whats it compare to a new one? I'm sure you don't have that kind of money to just tear apart a new filter though...

Here is the fleetguard filter user 30,000 miles vs. fleetguard new. post-2-138698207729_thumb.jpg Then here is older picture back before I had a AirDog 150 and this was done at 15,000 miles. post-2-138698207748_thumb.jpg Fleetguard filter (AirDog 150) with about 2K miles if that. I cut it open because I wanted to know if it plugged or was it the AirDog (AirDog regulator goofed up!) post-2-138698207741_thumb.jpg

• Owner

My oil filter and fuel filters probably look identical at 5000 miles. I've ran B20 so you would think it would clean it out. Maybe missouri fuel is crap.

Fill er' up with a tank of premium unleaded that should clean the fuel tank out. :lmao::lmao2: Seriously I would consider dropping the tank and washing it out with solvent or something if its that bad.

• Staff

Mine have looked the same. If you were to cut open your f/w sep you would see quite a bit more stuff, at least I did. When I drove my truck more I changed them at 30K miles, not I go around 24 months or until I get a pressure drop. I was starting to see a flow restriction at around 20K miles last time. This go around I have 19,700 on them and they are within .5psi of new, and have had 876 gallons burned (figure about 22-32K gallons pumped thru them). I am due for a 24 month change in November.