• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Cummins engine announced

bjytech

If they put it in a Titan then nissan might have a lot going for it. Seems so stupid that no 1/2 ton automaker will take the risk but I do know a lot of people who run when you even mumble "diesel". Still, the grand cherokees and liberties exceeded the sales expectations and I think a diesel 1/2 ton would sell like crazy. UNLESSSSS it comes with the ridiculous $50,000 minimum price tag.

One of the reasons I bought mine was you could open the hood and see an engine and not all the other crap. I had an old chevy with a 350 in it and you could put a 2" by 3' piece of plywood on the air cleaner and the radiator and sit a family of 4 under the hood for dinner.:lol:

shoot, all the R+D has been done.... as far as their inline lineup! (and this wouldn't be Cummins first dance at ''v'' configuration...) Their current 4 cylinder offering would be plenty for a lightweight half-ton... But the '4 cylinder' stigma wouldn't sell worth a dang! Fiat still going ahead with their v-6 diesel half tons?

One of the reasons I bought mine was you could open the hood and see an engine and not all the other crap. I had an old chevy with a 350 in it and you could put a 2" by 3' piece of plywood on the air cleaner and the radiator and sit a family of 4 under the hood for dinner.:lol:

Those where the days. Even my 92 Cummins had a fair amount of room under the hood and you could actually see the engine to work on it. However, even the newer I6 Cummins are buried under the new emission attempts any about the only family of 4 that may fit would be a family of mice.

shoot, all the R+D has been done.... as far as their inline lineup! (and this wouldn't be Cummins first dance at ''v'' configuration...) Their current 4 cylinder offering would be plenty for a lightweight half-ton... But the '4 cylinder' stigma wouldn't sell worth a dang! Fiat still going ahead with their v-6 diesel half tons?

Yep, they will be hitting the dealerships for 2014. I will be very interested to see the specs from this new Cummins engine. It just seems too big to be cradled in a light duty half ton. 300 Cubic inches, that's not too far off from the ol' 5.9. I'm sure they have shaved a bunch of weight compared to the older engines with lighter weight blocks, heads, and hard parts but it still seems over kill. It will be interesting to see what kind of drive train Nissan puts behind that little monster, they currently don't have any other other engines in that league.

Nissan's are built in Mississippi, gas engines built in Tennessee, and this new v8 cummins is slated to be built in Columbus Indiana... Shoot, These rigs are far more American made than our beloved Dodges! (mexico and Brazil sourced parts)... :ahhh: I read an article about the development of this engine from a few years back.. they were looking at both iron blocked V6 and V8 versions, 4.7 and 5.6 liter respectively. Dodge even supplied the Durango's and ram 1500's for test mules. This was FOUR years ago! What the heck happened? oh, FIAT 'happened'. Neat how this little cummins made 40% more economy than a 5.2 gasser, and was ONLY .2 second slower than the fabled HEMI in the 0-60 times... (That may be another reason the project was tabled by Chrysler) http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0612dp_new_cummins_v6_and_v8/viewall.html

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, they will be hitting the dealerships for 2014. I will be very interested to see the specs from this new Cummins engine. It just seems too big to be cradled in a light duty half ton. 300 Cubic inches, that's not too far off from the ol' 5.9. I'm sure they have shaved a bunch of weight compared to the older engines with lighter weight blocks, heads, and hard parts but it still seems over kill. It will be interesting to see what kind of drive train Nissan puts behind that little monster, they currently don't have any other other engines in that league.

looks like almost 400 lbs lighter than the I6! aluminum heads, and the Lbs of cast iron per per cylinder goes down in a v-8 configuration. (shared components such as 2 journals per main bearing, and skirt depth of block is shorter)... I wonder how much they've 'shorted' the stroke on this design?