Parts for automatic to stick shift conversion?

I am wanting to start collecting parts for the conversion. So when I need to I can do the conversion. Spending thousands on an automatic rebuild doesn't seem smart. So what do I need? How big of a job is it? Weekend? Which transmission should I look for? I do want overdrive.

Just for your information you can have a fully built goerend trans with triple disk billet tq billet input valvebody deep pan and upgraded internals for like $5000. I installed one on a 03 and that thing shifts better than a car. Just letting you know one of your options. I love manuals but I have been seeing too many lately going bad with syncros and nuts backing off and tear up gears.

Best to find a wrecked stick shift truck that you can pick up cheap, get all the parts you need and sell the rest. I picked up a wreck for $1800, got what I needed and sold the rest for $1700 and also sold my old auto trans and t-case for another $600 plus a few other little parts. My buddy did the same thing but his truck was only wrecked on the front not totaled like mine And he made alot more money than I did. I have done a few so if you have any questions don't be bashful.