• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Headlight help

Well this is my first post on here I've commented a few times on the sport headlight conversion but I was wondering if anybody thought it was possible to buy the headlights that were not sport but still had to bulbs and wire it up using the same harness style posted in the sport conversion thread these are the lights I was looking and and was thinkin about running the power wire from the oem harness to the high bean power low bear oem to low beam light and run the grounds through the same as in the picture but I still want to use the relays to take the heat off of the light switch I am fairly good at wiring and just wondering if anybody thinks this would work? Thanks for any input it's really appreciated

post-13123-138698207996_thumb.jpg

I believe the non-sport headlights have a high/low bulb. However some people do indeed install a relays in the manner of a "Bright Box", but with just the single blub. The Sport has a built in socket for an additional bulb. A shame they didn't use the sport housing for all & make the conversion easy...You haven't filled in the signature so I don't know what year your truck is. My 01.5, the stock lights are pretty good but with my low mileage the lens have not oxidized much. My 97 Cirrus is seriously clouded

I believe the non-sport headlights have a high/low bulb. However some people do indeed install a relays in the manner of a "Bright Box", but with just the single blub. The Sport has a built in socket for an additional bulb. A shame they didn't use the sport housing for all & make the conversion easy... You haven't filled in the signature so I don't know what year your truck is. My 01.5, the stock lights are pretty good but with my low mileage the lens have not oxidized much. My 97 Cirrus is seriously clouded

Sorry lol I need to fill that out I have an 01 2500 with the stock headlights they haven oxidized much either and the lighting is pretty good the headlights I'm looking at getting are not a sport model headlight they have 2 separate bulbs but are wired into the same socket so I was thinking if I took the diagrams for the sport model wiring and ran them a little different that I could get it to work the same way the only reason I'm thinking about this is because I want HIDS and the 9004 dual fulminant bulbs and ballasts are over 100 so I would be looking at about 220 for all lights if I did it the way I'm talking about I would have single filament bulbs thus half the money for the kit.

The HIDs have not only a different bulb composition but also filament placement. The filament, lens, reflector relationship is critical to beam control. Now there are those who have jimmied other bulb types into place... and maybe from the driver's viewpoint, they have improved lighting by sheer volume of light. I sincerely hope to not meet them coming the other way... I hate being blinded by their light scatter. My only experience is with off-road non-sealed beam halogens many years ago, but the system components were made for each other... and I found a brick wall to aim the beams on (by covering one light at a time).

• Like 1

The HIDs have not only a different bulb composition but also filament placement. The filament, lens, reflector relationship is critical to beam control. Now there are those who have jimmied other bulb types into place... and maybe from the driver's viewpoint, they have improved lighting by sheer volume of light. I sincerely hope to not meet them coming the other way... I hate being blinded by their light scatter. My only experience is with off-road non-sealed beam halogens many years ago, but the system components were made for each other... and I found a brick wall to aim the beams on (by covering one light at a time).

Mom not trying to jimmy other bulbs Into the socket the headlight assembly I found has an h1 bulb in it and a 9005 for the high bulb so I was wondering if I took this wiring diagram and took one of the wires off the reay would it still work because I'm trying to draw power striggt from the batteries like they said in the sport conversion swap

post-13123-138698208008_thumb.jpg

So your headlight assembly is basically stock Halogens. What you want is to run a bigger feed wire to the bulbs, controlled by a relay because the OEM headlight wiring through the switch is too small. The OEM wiring becomes the relay trigger circuit. There should be a diagram of this somewhere.

So your headlight assembly is basically stock Halogens. What you want is to run a bigger feed wire to the bulbs, controlled by a relay because the OEM headlight wiring through the switch is too small. The OEM wiring becomes the relay trigger circuit. There should be a diagram of this somewhere.

That exactly what I want to do but the bulbs that come in the headlight assembly I'm looking at are 2 wire bulbs instead of 3 I found the wiring diagram for the sport swap and I'm gonna make a harness based off of that diagram

• 4 months later...

Odd think I noticed on the Dodge wiring diagram is that the lights have power all the time, each through its own fuse, and the switch/relay provides the ground.

Not sure why they did this, and it won't affect your plans to add more relays, really.  Just kind of strange.  Maybe it makes it easier for each light to have its own fuse, while the switch/relay only needs to make one ground for high, one for low.

But let us knwo how your sport light conversion works out--my stock lights are terrible.

• Like 1