• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Over filling 6 Speed tranny

• Staff

What is "gear roll over noise"???:shrug: I read years ago about a fellow that actually took tranny temps with different quantities of gear lube in the NV5600. IIRC, the tranny actually operates COOLER(according to him) with the OEM amount or just slightly more vs. the 6-8+qt. amount. Is it foaming and not getting splashed around to dissipate the heat generated??? Twas probably CF or TDR where I read it.:smart:

Gear rollover is just the sound of the transmission gears at idle in N. With your OFE there is no way you don't get it, it's present on every OFE truck I have ever been around with a NV5600, and G56. It's from the OFE having bigger/stronger springs and doesn't remove some of the NVH at low load. It's those same springs that make the trans louder at low rpm use in 4th and 5th. Yes the trans fluid is hotter with additional fluid, the theory behind it was that the fluid is pulling more heat from the bearings and thus the bearing temp is lower but the fluid is hotter. I do need to pull about a qt out of mine to quiet it down thou, it's not bad but I have enough fluid to spare 1qt less.