• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Considering buying an ats aurora 2000 turbo

well just replaced my manifold to a 3 piece stocker was cracked fuel economy is awesome 17-18 in town hand calc 24 fwy at 60 im running a smarty tuner with rv275 injectors S&B air intake and 4" exhaust with an airdog 100 ive got a chance to pick up an aurora 2000 for $500 my truck is a 1998 24 valve auto wondering is this worth buying and upgrading? currently my boost is at about 35 i dont plan on making over 450 hp as i tow heavy 15k and want a reliable motor that will run 500k+ miles so should i keep my stock turbo or upgrade? the stock turbo clears up my exhaust very well and my temps range about 900 while towing at 30 psi of boost and last of all any power gain with this new turbo? any mpg gain? i greatly appreciate everyones input on this hands down this site has been the most helpful with my cummins :thumbup2:

I assume your current turbo is a hx35. The aurora 2000 is a slightly larger turbo. IMHO, you'd be better off with a super b turbo. The super b is ridiculous. Imagine all the midrange power you can stand with only a slightly slower spool up. Egt's are much lower when towing as well. Btw, your current turbo is way out of its map at 30lbs of boost. You're loosing power at that level.

IIRC, the Aurora 2000 is not gated. In my experience, you don't want that. You will be have a lot more touchy truck with less drivability (especially in an automatic). plus, you don't gain any real performance.

People run the hy35 in automatics with the gate held shut. It works out pretty well for those trucks. The automatic needs help staying spoolled between shifts sobthe smaller turbo actually increase deivability. I'm not sure how that thought applies to the ats turbo.

well i guess even if i went with the ats 2000 id need a new down pipe so that adds another $150 i'll just keep my eyes peeled for something in the range of an ats 3000? the guy had said he would recommend a 62/65 with my set up and i figured i was working the stock turbo a little to much :lmao: my boost guage stops at 35 psi and it will peg it so i adjusted my wastegate to keep it around 35 dont want to pull pieces of my turbo from the cac cooler

My advice would be to steer clear of anything that said ATS on it. You are loosing power if your turbo is pushing 35lbs of boost. It's just pushing hot air at that point. 23lbs ish is the limit of usefulness with the stock turbo. Keep in mind boost is only on parameter. Density of air is another. If you want to get a bigger turbo then you should look into some bigger injectors as well. Maybe some 100 or 150's and a super b. You won't believe you ever towed without it. Another option is to get an HE351 of an 05 or 06. Those can be found for around $300. You will need the down pipe no matter what turbo you get. The beauty of the he351 is that it spools fast and works great on automatics. It's sort of like a sooped up hy35.

• Like 1

so rv 275s arent really enough to get that super b special spooling good enough? will 100-150 horse keep my fuel economy where it is now assuming my foot stays the same hwy im at 24 city 17-18 now also had plans for a pacbrake prxb so should probly get the 4" inline design to support future mods? with 100-150 injectors and a super b special single turbo with a smarty intake and exhaust with a airdog 100 what would be a guess of hp level? also the airdog 100 should be able to support the fuel demand?

My truck has the mods listed below and I never got over 30lbs of boost out of the super b. I did get much better mileage and the truck towed 1,000% better. BTW, super b single not the special. The special is even bigger than the reg super b.Yes you will need the inline 4" pacbrake.I have no idea how much hp you would have. 400 ish I'd guess. If you want hp get an edge comp and tap the pump. If you want to tow heavy get some 100's and the super b. You will get better tow mileage and tow much faster! I'd be looking at upgrading my VB with all this.I have the 100 raptor. Plenty of fuel.

i was just assuming if im going to get a bigger turbo and injectors why not go 150's with a b special? any good recommended brand of injectors that wont brake the bank? i spent 500-600 if i remember on my 275's also have my old stockers which bench tested ok #2 was a little sticky but could have 150 tips put on maybe save some money?

- - - Updated - - -

Another question I'd like to ask say I was to stick with my stock rv 275s is there a good turbo out there that's best for that set up? I'm really wondering with big sticks and a bigger turbo how much life that's going to take out of the motor? Cajflynn you got over 1,000,000 miles what's your thought on this? My block is also a 53 and my current set up does pretty good hauling 15k no egt problems at all just stay out of over drive on steep hills

You have to decide how you want to run your truck. I set mine up to tow well. You can get a super b special but it will spool slowly and won't be great for towing. If mileage is a factor you may want to stay under control a bit here. The super b regular is a ton of turbo to begin with. I'm not sure why you would want the special. Besides new injectors you would need to tap the pump with a new programmer. Don't forget a built trans in there somewhere too. Seriously if you tow keep it simple. The super b will run great with 100's and the smarty. You will not believe how hard it will pull hills and get better mileage doing it. If that's not enough tap the pump and run an edge comp. The turbo will still be fine in that setup as well. If you stay with the 275's look at the he351. It would be a mild upgrade and be cheap as well. I changed my oil every 20k miles for the first half million miles. I started it cold and towed 20k lbs up a hill. I turned it off hot all the time. If anyone's truck should have blown up it was mine. I think to 01 53 blocks might have been stronger. Got me. I say do whatever you want and have fun. New blocks are always available!!!! I think the most important thing you can do to your truck is this: http://www.dieselram.com/archive/index.php?t-173842.html If you are going to tow do not drill any holes in the VB when you install the shift kit. You can also replace all the planets your 47re trans with 48re planets.

• Owner

Like myself I'm running Edge Comp (5x3), +50 HP Injectors and HX35 Turbo and its absolutely fine for a combination. Towing power is awesome and EGT's are very controllable. He's running...

im running a smarty tuner with rv275 injectors

The only thing about a turbo upgrade is the amount of lag you might add.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0711dp_aurora_2000_turbo/viewall.html RV275 -> + 100 HP STICKS = ats2000/ats3000/ super B (s300) /he351 - anything in the 57-60 mm compressor over 100 - 150 look at a 62 mm compressor larger than 150 look at a 63/64 mm compressor or twins Turbine side - depends on spool up and EGT ...... go smaller generally ..... :thumbup2:
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If your looking to do an upgrade AND an exhaust brake you should seriously look into a 351vgt out of an 07.5 and up. Combined with a stand alone controller it will be a great combo with stock injectors on up to 100 horse sticks, plus the exhaust brake is integrated in the turbo. I picked up a manifold and turbo of a low mileage 09 for 250 bucks a few weeks ago. The stand alone controllers go for around 500 give or take or if your patient they can be had used at half that price. A little fab work on the CAC piping will be necessary also. The vgt's are great for towing because the geometry of the turbine increases as the engine accelerates and the aspect ratio is maintained. There is a reason nearly all diesel engines use these turbos now a days, they are very efficient and tough to beat.JR