• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird sound diagnosed - good for those with the fuel boss or DTT

A few days ago I posted that I was hearing a 'rumbling' sound coming from my truck after starting off slowly, after the first start in the morning. A buddy of mine walked beside the truck the other morning when I left from work, and told me it was coming from the front of the engine compartment. I had already determined that the wheels, bearings, brakes were normal. I looked at the belt on my fuel boss, and it was very loose (the instructions for the fuel boss state not to have it too tight). Anyway, it was loose to the point where I could almost slip it off the pulleys. I got to thinking that maybe in the morning when the belt is stiff, it might be jumping the cogs on the pulley until it became more pliable, and might be making that sound. I tightened the belt up slightly, and sure enough my sound has gone away. Apparently, it was jumping the cogs enough to where the pulley was just barely grabbling the belt, and emitting my phantom noise. It was mere coincidence that the sound appeared after I had changed my crankshaft position sensor and had the starter out. Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone with these mechanical pumps ever hears a weird noise and has some trouble identifying it.

• Like 1

A few days ago I posted that I was hearing a 'rumbling' sound coming from my truck after starting off slowly, after the first start in the morning. A buddy of mine walked beside the truck the other morning when I left from work, and told me it was coming from the front of the engine compartment. I had already determined that the wheels, bearings, brakes were normal. I looked at the belt on my fuel boss, and it was very loose (the instructions for the fuel boss state not to have it too tight). Anyway, it was loose to the point where I could almost slip it off the pulleys. I got to thinking that maybe in the morning when the belt is stiff, it might be jumping the cogs on the pulley until it became more pliable, and might be making that sound. I tightened the belt up slightly, and sure enough my sound has gone away. Apparently, it was jumping the cogs enough to where the pulley was just barely grabbling the belt, and emitting my phantom noise. It was mere coincidence that the sound appeared after I had changed my crankshaft position sensor and had the starter out. Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone with these mechanical pumps ever hears a weird noise and has some trouble identifying it.

Hmmm, interesting

Not sure if the belt will stretch out like a new chain for a chainsaw, but if it did not come with instructions, there is usually a certain amount of deflection to be in spec. If not, you tighten or loosen as needed.If it were me, may try it just like a new chain for a chainsaw. Run it for a while so it gets good and warm then tighten it good with a bit of deflection. She'll be really tight in the cold! :thumbup2:

The belt is not supposed to be too tight, as that will cause the pump bearing to fail prematurely. But, I'm guessing it did stretch out a bit after my initial installation, and I should have adjusted it a tad. It is not supposed to be treated as a fan belt, per se, as far as tautness.